Questions about low carb

James1805

Hi
I am very happy to find this forum and this is my first post. I was diagnosed about 4 months ago (Type 2) for the first time during chemotherapy for prostate cancer. I tolerated the chemo very well but had hyperglycaemic episodes every 2 weeks as I had to take dexamethasone at the same time as the chemo drugs. The diabetic nurse put me on two types of insulin plus Diamicron. I got no dietary advice. I am finished the chemo now and feeling well. I decided myself to come off the insulin myself as I had some hypos. I have been on low carb for about 6 weeks and last week I decided to try giving up the Diamicron. I use the Freestyle Libre system so I get a great deal of data in my blood glucose. Here are my numbers, target range 4.0-8.0, time in target last 7 days is 97%, average glucose last 7 days is 6.5 mM. I am only taking about 50g of carb now. But in the last couple of days I see my trend line is fairly flat around 7 man. What do more experienced members of this Forum make of this? Are my numbers good? What do I do if the average glucose rises? I find it difficult to take so little carbs but I eat a healthy diet with lots of veg, protein, nuts etc.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I am very happy to find this forum and this is my first post. I was diagnosed about 4 months ago (Type 2) for the first time during chemotherapy for prostate cancer. I tolerated the chemo very well but had hyperglycaemic episodes every 2 weeks as I had to take dexamethasone at the same time as the chemo drugs. The diabetic nurse put me on two types of insulin plus Diamicron. I got no dietary advice. I am finished the chemo now and feeling well. I decided myself to come off the insulin myself as I had some hypos. I have been on low carb for about 6 weeks and last week I decided to try giving up the Diamicron. I use the Freestyle Libre system so I get a great deal of data in my blood glucose. Here are my numbers, target range 4.0-8.0, time in target last 7 days is 97%, average glucose last 7 days is 6.5 mM. I am only taking about 50g of carb now. But in the last couple of days I see my trend line is fairly flat around 7 man. What do more experienced members of this Forum make of this? Are my numbers good? What do I do if the average glucose rises? I find it difficult to take so little carbs but I eat a healthy diet with lots of veg, protein, nuts etc.
Hey James,

Hope you continue to do well, and your numbers look amazing. There's been a whole lot going on in your life and that might impact blood sugars one way or another, so if there are trends over time, that'd be good to keep an eye on (yay for the Freestyle!). You could cut carbs further? I actually found keto (about 20 grams a day or less) easier than having more carbs; less calculating, but still filling meals. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html might help a little. But in the meantime, like I said, anything can raise blood sugars. You could have a cold coming on, maybe a few restless nights, stress... You're still in range, but if you're concerned you could try taking the carb cutting a little further for the time being. Are you on any other meds? Statins can raise blood sugars, as can steroids (anti inflammatories). Just stuff to consider.

All in all.... You are doing a fantastic job. Don't let anyone tell you any different!
Jo