Questions from a newbie, just diagonosed with diabetes

tonypeps

good afternoon, everyone. I have registered to this forum in the hope that someone with expertise can explain diabetes to me. Up until yesterday afternoon, I wasn't diabetic, and am not sure whether I really am. I have autoimmune vasculitis (specifically Churg- strauss) and as such am on cyclophosphamide and industrial strength prednisolone. During a regular in patient visit yesterday there was concern at my blood sugar levels and I came away with a prescription for 40 gliclazide a day. Does this mean I have become diabetic, or is this likely to be yet another side effect of the primary medication/condition that will possibly disappear when the AV is under control?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Tony,welcome to the forum.I've put your post in 'Ask the experts' so that you get a more qualified answer.

Trinkwasser

Prednisolone is notorious for raising BG. This may be a temporary thing which will stop if you stop or reduce the dose, or it may have triggered permanent diabetes. Some people with chronic steroid treatments are prescribed insulin for that reason