1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Questions from a newbie, just diagonosed with diabetes

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by tonypeps, Jan 7, 2009.

1. tonypeps

tonypeps · Newbie

good afternoon, everyone. I have registered to this forum in the hope that someone with expertise can explain diabetes to me. Up until yesterday afternoon, I wasn't diabetic, and am not sure whether I really am. I have autoimmune vasculitis (specifically Churg- strauss) and as such am on cyclophosphamide and industrial strength prednisolone. During a regular in patient visit yesterday there was concern at my blood sugar levels and I came away with a prescription for 40 gliclazide a day. Does this mean I have become diabetic, or is this likely to be yet another side effect of the primary medication/condition that will possibly disappear when the AV is under control?

2. sugarless sue

sugarless sue · Master

Tony,welcome to the forum.I've put your post in 'Ask the experts' so that you get a more qualified answer.

3. Trinkwasser

Trinkwasser · Well-Known Member

Prednisolone is notorious for raising BG. This may be a temporary thing which will stop if you stop or reduce the dose, or it may have triggered permanent diabetes. Some people with chronic steroid treatments are prescribed insulin for that reason

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook