Approved Questions on diabetes.

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am an 11th grade student and am hoping for someone to respond to some questions I have for a project I have in English class. I need to have a name that I can credit for the responses, as well as how diabetes is involved in your life.

1.How is diabetes managed for type 1 and type 2 diabetics?

2.Do the chances of being diagnosed with diabetes increase over time, even as an individual maintains a good diet?

3.Does diabetes play a role in the development of pancreatic cancer?

4.Once diabetes is diagnosed can an individual cease to have it, if they go onto a healthy diet?

5.Is insulin the only way to regulate glucose levels?

6.Does insulin lower or increase blood glucose levels?

7.Does insulin continue to have effects even when blood glucose is regulated?

8.Can the United States and other counties do more to decrease the number of diabetes cases?

9.Why does the body develop diabetes?

10.Can diabetes be linked to depression?

C

catherinecherub

Administrator has marked this as approved on the condition that only usernames are quoted and full names of users are not requested.

Reactions: 2 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
I am an 11th grade student and am hoping for someone to respond to some questions I have for a project I have in English class. I need to have a name that I can credit for the responses, as well as how diabetes is involved in your life.

1.How is diabetes managed for type 1 and type 2 diabetics? T1 Insulin, T2 some/all of Insulin/Oral Meds/Diet/Exercise

2.Do the chances of being diagnosed with diabetes increase over time, even as an individual maintains a good diet? T1 No, T2 if genetically predisposed Yes

3.Does diabetes play a role in the development of pancreatic cancer?Don't think so but pancreatic cancer can cause some types of D

4.Once diabetes is diagnosed can an individual cease to have it, if they go onto a healthy diet?According to Prof Roy Taylor Yes, in T2 but may be in remission. In T1 no

5.Is insulin the only way to regulate glucose levels?No, Diet, Oral Meds as well.

6.Does insulin lower or increase blood glucose levels?Lower

7.Does insulin continue to have effects even when blood glucose is regulated?Yes, Lowers BG & causes fat storage!

8.Can the United States and other counties do more to decrease the number of diabetes cases?Yes

9.Why does the body develop diabetes?Simplistically, T1 :autoimmune response, T2: Islet death and/or Insulin resistance

10.Can diabetes be linked to depression?Yes, causal link observed between D & depression

Sorry if these answers are a bit simplistic but full answers would take study to Batchelors, Masters Doctoral & Post-Doctoral levels

Last edited by a moderator:

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Google will explain this thoroughly.

2.Do the chances of being diagnosed with diabetes increase over time, even as an individual maintains a good diet?
Best bet is to google this one, as you will have access to the largest research base which will prove or disprove this hypothesis.

Best ask google. I doubt many of us can answer this.

4.Once diabetes is diagnosed can an individual cease to have it, if they go onto a healthy diet?
No.

Glucose regulation is incredibly complex. I suggest that you google for "Glucose Metabolism" and dig out many of the research papers relating to it. Glucose levels are controlled and affected by multiple hormones.

Google please.

This question doesn't really make sense without a context. Please provide one.

8.Can the United States and other counties do more to decrease the number of diabetes cases?
Potentially. Doing a few web searches will allow you to draw your own conclusions here.

Best to search for this one as well.

There are some links, but which way are you looking to find a link? Might be worth using a search engine and asking the question.

Apologies if these answers seem abrupt, but you are someone who is roughly sixteen and who can clearly use the internet. Many of the answers you seek can be found by doing some of your own research. I'd suggest that you do that homework first and then come back here and ask for further guidance once you have answers to these questions. At the moment, it feels a little like we are doing your homework for you!

Reactions: 9 people

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Google will explain this thoroughly.

Best bet is to google this one, as you will have access to the largest research base which will prove or disprove this hypothesis.

Best ask google. I doubt many of us can answer this.

No.

Glucose regulation is incredibly complex. I suggest that you google for "Glucose Metabolism" and dig out many of the research papers relating to it. Glucose levels are controlled and affected by multiple hormones.

Google please.

This question doesn't really make sense without a context. Please provide one.

Potentially. Doing a few web searches will allow you to draw your own conclusions here.

Best to search for this one as well.

There are some links, but which way are you looking to find a link? Might be worth using a search engine and asking the question.

Apologies if these answers seem abrupt, but you are someone who is roughly sixteen and who can clearly use the internet. Many of the answers you seek can be found by doing some of your own research. I'd suggest that you do that homework first and then come back here and ask for further guidance once you have answers to these questions. At the moment, it feels a little like we are doing your homework for you!
Essentially - a RTFM answer ! :)