Quiche question

VioletViolet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If I had a slice of Higgidy quiche for tea what percentage carbs do you reckon the crust would be ?

P.S. This is like an old style maths question about people digging holes . Please show your working out with your answer ;)

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Were you thinking of not eating the crust?

Assuming that the rest of the quiche is not carb heavy then probably 90% of carb content is crust - but you would need to calculate the size of your slice too.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If the crust is pastry then it is going to be over half carbs - which translates into far too many carbs for me.

D

Deleted Account

Doesn’t it depend on what was in the quiche. If it was The salmon and spinach, most (80%) carbs would be in the pastry. If it was spinach, feta and red pepper or cheese, onion and balsamic vinegar (which tastes sweet) I would suggest slightly less in the pastry (70%).
Then there is the question of whether it was crustless or not and how big your slice was

But unless you are counting carbs in order to calculate insulin dose, how accurate do you need to be?

VioletViolet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Doesn’t it depend on what was in the quiche. If it was The salmon and spinach, most (80%) carbs would be in the pastry. If it was spinach, feta and red pepper or cheese, onion and balsamic vinegar (which tastes sweet) I would suggest slightly less in the pastry (70%).
Then there is the question of whether it was crustless or not and how big your slice was

But unless you are counting carbs in order to calculate insulin dose, how accurate do you need to be?

Just enough not to raise my sugars too high :)

VioletViolet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If the crust is pastry then it is going to be over half carbs - which translates into far too many carbs for me.
Yes I don't normally bother I just fancied a slice for tea ... I will experiment and test myself - see how it goes. The hardest bit will be be putting the crust in the bin!

VioletViolet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Were you thinking of not eating the crust?

Assuming that the rest of the quiche is not carb heavy then probably 90% of carb content is crust - but you would need to calculate the size of your slice too.
Yup - will test and see what happens. I am always scared of unleashing the processed food bingeing beast!

VioletViolet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Pah! Will have an omelette next time, totally not worth boinging up from 5.2 to 8.1 after 2 hrs. I've been living in the 5s for a few weeks now. You live and learn.

Reactions: lovinglife

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Pah! Will have an omelette next time, totally not worth boinging up from 5.2 to 8.1 after 2 hrs. I've been living in the 5s for a few weeks now. You live and learn.

Just been looking into the nutritional value of the pie thing? https://www.nutracheck.co.uk/Calori...pinach,+Feta+&+Roasted+Red+Pepper+Quiche+400g

The fat content could be slowing the digestion & possibly delaying a further rise in BG???
But the fact there is no lid on this pie & factoring in your personal metabolism, leaves the subject of the final effect of quiche "wide open."

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Isn't that just a big omelette?? ;)
Have you ever made any of the fathead type pastry for quiches. I need to get out more , discussing quiche on a Saturday night :bag:

For me the texture differs between an omellette and crustless quiche, although fritatta comes close.

The beauty of doing a fritatta, or crustless quiche is you can multiple portions and refrigerate. Somehome I don't find an omelette the same second time around. Although, that could just be in my head.

I do crustless quiche in a foil lined sandwich sponge tin - ideally with a loose bottom to get it out of the tin (hence the foil lining). Alternatively little ones in ramekins or timbale dishes. Ideal for packed lunches and the like

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
If I had a slice of Higgidy quiche for tea what percentage carbs do you reckon the crust would be ?

P.S. This is like an old style maths question about people digging holes . Please show your working out with your answer ;)
Looking at the nutritional information for Higgidy quiches, most of them have 17.3 - 17.5 % carbs.
The Little Spinach and Feta Quiche has a bit more carbs, 19.3%.
I would think the crust makes up virtually 100% of the carbs. The fillings would account for very few carbs.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looking at the nutritional information for Higgidy quiches, most of them have 17.3 - 17.5 % carbs.
The Little Spinach and Feta Quiche has a bit more carbs, 19.3%.
I would think the crust makes up virtually 100% of the carbs. The fillings would account for very few carbs.
I would have agreed but when I looked up one of their crustless quiches it seemed to have only slightly less carbs.
https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/produ...J0ZnwBGo8lcO_li8vaXlQU1BN9qKk0dhoCdyMQAvD_BwE

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Commercial quiche often has starches added to the filling for thickening and stabilising- also the so called commercial "crustless" quiches are in fact not crustless at all but have pastry bottoms - just don't have a crust edge - maybe should be called caseless when a quiche has no pastry at all ;)

Reactions: Prem51

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.

Yep, I looked at some 'spinach based' pizza shopping today. Looked really good from the box.

Then I read the small print, 78g carbs per pizza. Sound low? Standard thin 4 cheese pizza is 90g carbs. WOOWIE 12 g less.

I now make my own based on a 3 egg omelette, much better. That's about 10g likely less.

Reactions: Prem51