quiche

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i've been messing about with quiche for the last year and wanted to share my results plus have input. I have tried (and do) crustless quiche but i've been experimenting with a compromise because reasons :)
so the Australians have something known as "impossible quiche", no baking a pastry case just mix it all up and go, very interesting and fun. i've adapted that to the low-ish carb following:
1/4 cup of wholemeal sr flour (approx 30g) about 20 carbs
mix with grated cheese (about 1 cup)
grease a flan tin (9cm) with butter and spread flour cheese combo on base
bake at 180 (ish) for 5 mins then stir it up
add quiche contents e.g. 3 eggs plus same volume of cream plus cheese veg bacon etc to taste
bake at 160 ish depending on your oven for 20 mins (fan equals low temp, time equals how wet you like your egg mix)

Reactions: Perminder1

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i've been messing about with quiche for the last year and wanted to share my results plus have input. I have tried (and do) crustless quiche but i've been experimenting with a compromise because reasons :)
so the Australians have something known as "impossible quiche", no baking a pastry case just mix it all up and go, very interesting and fun. i've adapted that to the low-ish carb following:
1/4 cup of wholemeal sr flour (approx 30g) about 20 carbs
mix with grated cheese (about 1 cup)
grease a flan tin (9cm) with butter and spread flour cheese combo on base
bake at 180 (ish) for 5 mins then stir it up
add quiche contents e.g. 3 eggs plus same volume of cream plus cheese veg bacon etc to taste
bake at 160 ish depending on your oven for 20 mins (fan equals low temp, time equals how wet you like your egg mix)
Sounds amazing. It's a tad too carby for me, alas. And yes, I know I could cut it in half and meet my keto goals, but come on, it's quiche....! Not going to happen. ;) Seriously, it does sound very, very nice...!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know :)
pastry was a favourite pre T2 along with biscuits for cheese. I do like both coconut and almond flour but they have rather strong flavours which i struggle with.
...Not to mention those flours coming down on a stomach like a brick sometimes... ;)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
...Not to mention those flours coming down on a stomach like a brick sometimes... ;)

Yes, I am finding almond flour sits like a lead balloon, so have it v v v rarely now (virtually never).

I have seen quiche made with a case of streaky bacon, but of course it has to be cooked in a leak proof container.
And I have used lo dough a few times - makes a small quiche, but v tasty. Not quite like pastry, but easy to serve and pick up.

Love a good quiche.