Quick question

Carl40

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, things are going great except i just went to inject into my upper arm (done so many times now) and it was painful and produced a reasonable size red mark! Not sure what I did there but would rather not do it again!

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad to hear things are going great. I’ve not been brave enough to inject there yet. But I do sometimes draw blood when injecting & Lantus can sting a bit. You’ll know to avoid that area for a few days.

Reactions: Carl40

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Insulin doesn't make you starving, I've been using it for over 4 years and I only feel starving when the weather turns cold, if the OP gets a Type 1 diagnosis ketone testing is essential while they don't generally prescribe a means of testing ketones to Type 2's as they still produce their own insulin, DKA is caused by not enough insulin and far more common in Type 1's as they end up not producing any

Insulin does make you hungry I was told by my DSN before I took it and I found that to be the truth. For me it was a vicious cycle I’m hungry I inject then I’d be hungry again and so it went round and round. I gained so much weight due to the insulin as well. Thankfully I was taken off insulin.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Insulin does make you hungry I was told by my DSN before I took it and I found that to be the truth. For me it was a vicious cycle I’m hungry I inject then I’d be hungry again and so it went round and round. I gained so much weight due to the insulin as well. Thankfully I was taken off insulin.
I've been on insulin for over 4 years and its never made me hungry, nor I or any others I know have been told this, higher BG causes hunger because you aren't getting the energy from the food you are consuming, also insulin alone does not cause weight gain, its what you eat along side it that causes that

Carl40

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad to hear things are going great. I’ve not been brave enough to inject there yet. But I do sometimes draw blood when injecting & Lantus can sting a bit. You’ll know to avoid that area for a few days.

Think I hit a nerve! Stung a bit but is ok now!

Tummy and top of legs is best place I've done so far, least sensation from it.

Still waiting on peptide results - lab say it can be up to 28 days for results which is not impressive!

Levels aren't too bad now, needed reading glasses to deal with eyesight which have stopped me feeling all spaced out too.

So far, so good :)

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You might find you need a consultation with an endo to get full results from the c peptide. My nurse could see the level but couldn’t say whether it meant T1 or T2 whereas the endo said straight up T1.

How are you going with levels & doses? Are you still on the fixed doses or started working out your ratios?

Carl40

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
You might find you need a consultation with an endo to get full results from the c peptide. My nurse could see the level but couldn’t say whether it meant T1 or T2 whereas the endo said straight up T1.

How are you going with levels & doses? Are you still on the fixed doses or started working out your ratios?

Just bumped up my basal dose to 28 units. Just about hitting target on a morning now so not far away.

Basal doses I was given a table and have been mostly using it but as I'm getting a bit more familiar with the effect of different food and the insulin I'm adjusting (sometimes taking an extra couple of units from what the table says). Need to update my spreadsheet with last few days readings but average is definitely coming down nicely.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry @Carl40 I just want to clarify, the insulin you take for food is bolus and the one once or twice a day is basal, I hope you aren't increasing the basal to take into account odd reading or whatever as it isn't designed for that, it's designed to keep you stable in the absence of food and shouldn't be taking your levels down, if it is then it's too big a dose xx

Carl40

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry @Carl40 I just want to clarify, the insulin you take for food is bolus and the one once or twice a day is basal, I hope you aren't increasing the basal to take into account odd reading or whatever as it isn't designed for that, it's designed to keep you stable in the absence of food and shouldn't be taking your levels down, if it is then it's too big a dose xx

Hi..

So I'm doing two things here. First, the nurse wants me to increase my basal dose by two units every four days until my first reading in the morning is under 8. Just went from 26 to 28 units on that.

Bolus wise, if I'm getting a reading telling me to take four units, I'm occasionally taking six to reduce my levels on the reading two hours after eating.

Hope that makes sense! :)

Reactions: kaylz91

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Basal doses I was given a table and have been mostly using it but as I'm getting a bit more familiar with the effect of different food and the insulin I'm adjusting
was just checking because of that comment as that indicated you were adjusting basal where it shouldn't have been xx

Carl40

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
was just checking because of that comment as that indicated you were adjusting basal where it shouldn't have been xx

Yeah no worries :)

TBH its only through this site I'm getting much guidance at present. Doesn't seem much education available via NHS on this and being a novice to it all I think that is somewhat lacking...

Carl40

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

Time for a quick update I think.

Confirmed as type 2, average levels down from the 20's to between 8 and 12 with occasional peaks and troughs above and below.

Have started Metformin yesterday. 1 x 500mg a day for the first couple of weeks rising to 3 x 500mg eventually.

Side effects fairly minimal but only have one day of experience to go from! Mainly just felt bloated when I took it last night. Have an almost never-ending headache too but that was there before I got the tablets.

Have been feeling very fatigued on an afternoon/evening. Pretty foggy head too.

Tomorrow is CT scan for pancreas and liver. Just a precaution apparently.

Eye sight was bad for a bit but has settled so no longer need the temp glasses I go. Have had the eye screening and all good there.

Guess the fatigue is just as my body adjusts to lower levels of glucose but not sure.

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So bit of a sudden change for you again Carl. How are you doing with it all?

I’m assuming the T2 diagnosis was off the back of a high c-peptide? I’m sure you’ve seen the success lots of people have had with low carb diets, doesn’t work for everyone but worth a shot & no mare insulin!

Good luck with the CT scans

Carl40

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
So bit of a sudden change for you again Carl. How are you doing with it all?

I’m assuming the T2 diagnosis was off the back of a high c-peptide? I’m sure you’ve seen the success lots of people have had with low carb diets, doesn’t work for everyone but worth a shot & no mare insulin!

Good luck with the CT scans

Thanks Tash.

Yeah it's definitely been all go last month or so.. which is weird 'cos I've not had the energy for it!

Had been waiting for the c-peptide test for a few weeks and then Dr confirmed they considered it type two, didn't actually hear what the results were as such.

Last night was good - no noticeable side-effects from the tablet so that bodes well I think! CT was fine and await results.

Hope all is well with you and very much appreciate your support over this :)