Quorn & diabetes

jessA2024

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

So I'm on a fa's acting insulin sugars high still dispite been on 36 units on a evening .

Has anyone tried quorn and meat free diet instead of meats ?

If so was in beneficial to your sugars at all ?

Thanks

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

So I'm on a fa's acting insulin sugars high still dispite been on 36 units on a evening .

Has anyone tried quorn and meat free diet instead of meats ?

If so was in beneficial to your sugars at all ?

Thanks
...When I went carnivore (animal protein/fats only), my blood glucose was the best it's ever been. So if it's purely a blood glucose consideration and not an ethical/religious one, I don't really see a point in going veg only. For me personally it didn't work out because I happen to make loads of kidney stones when on a meat/egg/cheese/poultry diet, but for my blood sugars it was absolutely amazing. These days I'm back to a mix of animal protein and veg, as long as its low carb and nicely balanced, I'm doing pretty good on that, HbA1c-wise. Do be careful when you change your diet when on insulin, because hypo's can come in fast and hard. (Which you likely already know, but just to be on the safe side). Have you tried a low carb/keto diet?

Good luck!
Jo

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have Type 1 which I treat with insulin and have a primarily vegetarian diet.
There is myth that it is "too hard" to eat a low carb diet without meat but there are many meat alternatives without carbs such as quorn and tofu and seitan and, if you are not vegan, cheese and eggs.
There are many reason to chose a vegetarian diet but, as long as you eat a similar amount of carbs, managing diabetes is not the one.
If you feel good (physically, morally, ethically, ... whatever) eating a vegetarian diet, don't let diabetes be the reason to stop you. But, there again, if you are not vegetarian already, diabetes is not the reason to choose it.

As @JoKalsbeek mentioned, any change in diet when you are taking insulin, means you will need to consider your insulin dose. This is easier if you count your carbs and maintain a similar level.
Bear in mind, hypos don't always come in "fast and hard"- they can also creep up on you. As you are taking insulin, I am sure you know this already.

Reactions: filly