Raised blood sugars on 15 grams of carb a day doing keto - I have no idea why.

Flutterbyent

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi folks
All of a sudden by blood sugars have gone from 7 average to upto 13. Everytime I move they go thru the roof, I have tried drinking more, exercise. I have been stressed but that problem has gone. I eat two meals a day and do intermittant fasting. any ideas what else I can do to lower them? I have a free style libre monitour which my family help with the cost. have an almost constant headache. Any suggestions would be appreciated as this is very upsetting as I canot think what else to do.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi folks
All of a sudden by blood sugars have gone from 7 average to upto 13. Everytime I move they go thru the roof, I have tried drinking more, exercise. I have been stressed but that problem has gone. I eat two meals a day and do intermittant fasting. any ideas what else I can do to lower them? I have a free style libre monitour which my family help with the cost. have an almost constant headache. Any suggestions would be appreciated as this is very upsetting as I canot think what else to do.
How frustrating! A couple of questions to make sure you get the right advice. What type are you, and are you on insulin? How long have you been doing keto?

At a guess, I’d say you need to start dosing insulin for protein, assuming you’re type one like me and aren’t already.

Flutterbyent

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How frustrating! A couple of questions to make sure you get the right advice. What type are you, and are you on insulin? How long have you been doing keto?

At a guess, I’d say you need to start dosing insulin for protein, assuming you’re type one like me and aren’t already.

Flutterbyent

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
I am a type two and have been doing Keto for 13 months. Just eaten and blood sugars are going down which I have never seen before.
Best wishes
Elisha

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How long has it been going on? Could you be fighting an infection? Taking any new medications for anything else?

How long have you been diagnosed? Did they test for type or just assume? Sometimes people are assumed to be a type 2 because of age or weight but are actually LADA it type 1 and the keto prolongs the honeymoon phase a bit before it all crashes out.

Flutterbyent

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi HSSS
No sign of infection but thats not to say its not. This has been going on about 2 weeks. I was diagnosed type 2 11 years ago now bloods have gone 11.3 1 hour 43 minutes since a light salad with less than 12 carbs in the meal.

Flutterbyent

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
oh and I have lost 1 stone + in weight this year. Total weight loss last four years four and a half stone. Was 20 now 15.4 approx

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After 11yrs I wouldn’t think type 1/LADA was likely then. Possibly the pancreas has reached its limit of insulin production as can happen in type 2 after some time. A c-peptide or insulin test would be the only way to know for sure and if this continues then I’d be asking for that.

Sorry, they’ve reached 11.3 from what number before lunch?

Reactions: ert

Flutterbyent

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The number before lunch was 12 I ate and it went down to 7.7 and then shot up. I am usally under 8 2 hours after food

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The number before lunch was 12 I ate and it went down to 7.7 and then shot up. I am usally under 8 2 hours after food
Have you done any finger prick tests to confirm the Libre's readings?
They are far from infallible.

Flutterbyent

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Flutterbyent

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I did one test the variance was 0.2 libre said 7.7 strip test was 7.9. Because the normal strip test were so high I put the libre on to test to see if it was a failure on my new strip monitour sadly it was not. There have been slifht differences put nothing huge.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you been to see your GP about this? I think this is your best option, and take along some data about your levels. Something is going on.

May I suggest you complete your profile details to include the type of diabetes you have, the treatment, and the medications? It really is important to avoid incorrect advice and saves people having to ask you all the time. If you use the app you will have to log in on the website from your browser to do this.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I'm sorry you're having a difficult time. How long have you been intermittent fasting? (Before I was placed on insulin) I found with intermittent fasting, I would sometimes have a week with high blood sugars and had to move back to three meals a day to reset and stabilise my blood sugars. When fasting the hormone glucagon is stimulated and this increases plasma glucose levels in the body, which is cleared away in normal people but not diabetics. I'm still a fan of intermittent fasting and skip one meal every day.
I hope you get to the bottom of whatever is happening soon.

Last edited:

Flutterbyent

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you been to see your GP about this? I think this is your best option, and take along some data about your levels. Something is going on.

May I suggest you complete your profile details to include the type of diabetes you have, the treatment, and the medications? It really is important to avoid incorrect advice and saves people having to ask you all the time. If you use the app you will have to log in on the website from your browser to do this.
I'm sorry you're having a difficult time. How long have you been intermittent fasting? (Before I was placed on insulin) I found with intermittent fasting, I would sometimes have a week with high blood sugars and had to move back to three meals a day to reset and stabilise my blood sugars. When fasting the hormone glucagon is stimulated and this increases plasma glucose levels in the body, which is cleared away in normal people but not diabetics. I'm still a fan of intermittent fasting and skip one meal every day.

Flutterbyent

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
Sorry if I have put anyone out I have filled in the profile quickly. I have a GP appontment for the 22 nd August earliest I can get

Flutterbyent

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Flutterbyent

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
I have IF for thirteen months and like you have 2 meals a day. Just upseeting I literally have not sinned in a year no cake, biscuits, crisps. Just really frustrating.