Raising a family

M05

Wish to hear some inspirational stories where t1s build a nice family and didnt let t1 stop them especially t1 men

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Sorry not a t1 man myself but as a t1 mum I have a happy healthy family, if I ever stopped to think about the 'what if's' then I wouldn't be fortunate enough to of experienced the love of my family, I don't think we can ever predict what will happen in life but if we don't take chances then our lives would be quite empty. My moto is to live in the present, and enjoy the time we have here today.

Reactions: EllieM

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Never had a problem raising a family I have two healthy children four grandchildren never felt my diabetes affected my family life, I suppose I just got on with life

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Also the worry of them getting t1 too
Well I know if my mother had asked would you rather not have been born than have diabetes I would have chosen the latter, and treatment was not very good when I became a diabetic in 1970, now I am glad to say treatment is so much better and I know both my children would have rather been diabetic that not be hear at all, there really are so many worst things one could suffer, I am just glad to be alive

Reactions: SJT1D

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
i don't have children myself.. but its something me and my ex discussed in great detail im T1 she is T2 she already had a little boy..

we decided that if it was meant to be.. it would be!

we discussed the risks... we discussed how over time treatment is improving.. we discussed so many things... and you know what 2 no diabetics could have a T! child.. or a child with many other things..

but if all you do is worry about what if's you'd never do anything in life

My Dad was T1 so was his Mum

Good luck on whatever you decide...

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Wish to hear some inspirational stories where t1s build a nice family and didnt let t1 stop them especially t1 men
I have 3 kids (all 3 diabetic pregnancies - thank you NHS for the monitoring and c sections + brief stays in NICU this entailed ) . I don't know about NICE (they are teenagers) but of all the things I worry and worried about, when bringing them into the world, type 1 was not one of them!