Ramapril

Hi
Has anyone out there had any experiences bad or good after taking Ramapril, the drug used to lower blood pressure and help with mild kidney strain?

candyfloss

Dislikes
Processed foods and refined carbohydrates!
I think Ramipril was the one that gave me a most annoying chest 'tickle' as soon as I hit the sack. Impossible to get off to sleep and I had to drop it together with another the Dr prescribed, bendrofluromethiazide. When I did some further research on these two there were all sorts of things that told me not to take them (interactions with other drugs, side effects etc). I now just take a low dose Amlodipine and with diet change and more exercise my bp is normal.

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rubbish doctors who dont listen. Unclean hospitals
im on titrace Titration pack so done the 2.5mg for a week now on the 5mg for 3 weeks then the 10mg. Not had any issues so far put on it to protect my kidneys. Has lowerd my bp a little about 7-8 points. So thats got to be good.

Have noticed an increase in headaches but I think its working with the actos and the gliclizide MR release im on and noticed it does drop my bg very quickly after eating. Sometimes its going from 15 to 5 in an hour.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
candyfloss said:
I now just take a low dose Amlodipine and with diet change and more exercise my bp is normal.

Thats odd Candyfloss my cardio consultant took me off Amlodipine and prescribed Ramipril as soon as he saw I had been diagnosed diabetic, he did it because of the kidney protecting qualities of Ramipril.

I was also taking Bendrofluromethiazide but stopped that when I caught a virus and my doc told me to stop taking it as it was a diuretic and it was not a good idea to take a diuetic when I was dehydrated though fighting a flu like virus. I also stopped taking aspirin at this time too and have not restarted taking either as the Ramipril seems to keep my BP at a reasonable level, 131/84 this morning after mowing the lawn, usually around the 120/80 mark.

Cant say I have suffered any side effects from any of the BP drugs.

Thank you all for your replies, it has helped a lot. Main problem that I had with Ramperil is the tickly cough but it seems to have subsided. It has also reduced my BP and my kidney function is now back to normal after 2 weeks of taking them. Have a good Day all of you. John

nannybarbara

I've been on Ramipril for 4 weeks but I've got to go back to the doc for an alternative as I've been violently coughing at night until I'm sick, and/or had a nosebleed! I'm also getting a bit concerned as whilst the systolic hasn't changed, still in 140/150 range, the diastolic has dropped to 50/60.

Barb

stephenT2

Re: Ramipril

I've been on Ramipril, 5g daily now for over 18 months, and judging from the above comments, I'm very lucky.

I've had no real adverse side effects at all, apart from a stable lowering of my blood pressure!