Random bloodsugar spikes in evening

Elisabethmh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all! Hoping for a bit of knowledge sharing from anyone who might have experienced something similar.

I am a relatively well regulated type 1 diabetic and I have recently been traveling for 6 months. Soon after I came back home I started getting high bloodsugars in the evening close to when I am going to bed. Usually this occurs 4-5 hours after I have eaten my last meal. I went away again last week for a few days and did not have any issues again, but as soon as I came back it was back.

I cannot find the reason. My diet has not changed, I sleep well and exercise. My base insulin seem to be right and I am not snacking or eating crazy big dinners.

Has anyone tries this before? Any ideas on what might cause it? I am quite lost

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Heya and welcome to the forum.

BG spikes can happen after periods of inactivity, if you’ve been active then insulin action changes vs when you’ve been inactive - so what works one day can be different the next, what insulins are you taking and when ?

Are you ok with correction doses and managing your own insulin adjustments ?

petepontiac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who criticise what they cant understand
I have the same problem spikes 4 or 5 hours after evening meal. I have made sure my bolus amount is in line with the carbs. Have now reduced my insulin carb ratio for my evening meal and it seems to be working.

Reactions: SimonP78