Type 1 Random spike AGAIN!

samowen268

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, yesterday I posted about having a random blood spike some hours after eating noodles, my blood rose to 20. After an hour or so of manic exercises, drinking tonnes of water and a correction dose I was back on track and my bloods stayed down over night and all day today have been 6/7/8.

I had my meal at 5ish tonight and tested again at half 6/7 and my bloods were 9ish (I can’t remember the exact number), I felt really tired so had a nap as my sleeping pattern has been out of sorts.
I wake up and my blood is now 17??
I understand that high bloods are a part of diabetes that we deal with but it’s becoming very upsetting, I’ve done very well staying away from high bloods over the last few months after gaining tighter BG control and feel like I’m losing control again, even though I’m very consciously trying not to!

Can someone please explain (or try!) what is happening here and why I keep waking up with obscure high bloods, it’s very upsetting and a nightmare to bring them down :( thanks in advance x

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry to hear you are having a tough time @samowen268.

I'm no expert but I'd be keen to know what type of meals you are having? You also mention disrupted sleep. Personally my blood sugar levels get affected by a lack of sleep so that may also be contributing.
Be careful with exercise as it can sometimes increase your blood sugars (mine does if the exercise is intense/anaerobic).
Could you remind us of your insulin regime?

Reactions: samowen268

samowen268

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to hear you are having a tough time @samowen268.

I'm no expert but I'd be keen to know what type of meals you are having? You also mention disrupted sleep. Personally my blood sugar levels get affected by a lack of sleep so that may also be contributing.
Be careful with exercise as it can sometimes increase your blood sugars (mine does if the exercise is intense/anaerobic).
Could you remind us of your insulin regime?

Yesterday my meal for the evening wasn’t much as we hadn’t had our shopping delivered! so it was ham sandwiches, chicken and fries (I know it sounds extremely unhealthy but not much else in the house unfortunately) but I looked up all of the carbs etc really closely and definitely injected the right amount (if not more because I was worried my bloods would spike as they did the previous evening), but I’m on NovoRapid and Lantus for background insulin, I’m on antibiotics for a gum infection at the moment, could they be making my blood sugars rise? I’ve woken up this morning with a hypo now, so I’m on the other side of the spectrum but I don’t mind too much, having high blood sugars scare me after such a wreckless childhood with them!
Also my sleep pattern is highly disturbed, I sometimes don’t sleep the entire night because I have insomnia at night and chronic fatigue In the day so I don’t really tire myself out enough, I had 6 hours sleep last night so not too bad however, thank you :)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm sure some type1s will be along soon but...
Infection, lack of sleep and stressing about spikes would cause me to spike too and I'm type2.
We are advised to treat as ill days til infection and sleep improves.
Are you aware of what to do on ill days?
I'm sure info on this website for type1s.
Click diabetes.co.uk heading or icon and search ill days?

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are you waking up in the evening with these highs or are you having them upon waking in the morning?

Ultimately it can be two things;

• Insulin/Carb Ratio
  • Basal Dose
What basal insulin are you on and when do you take it?

You should always eliminate issues with that first you see.....

Neoncat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Have you tried a Libre? I know cost is an issue for a lot of people but maybe your DSN could help you out with a trial of one. It could help you see what is going on before you hit the spike (e.g. is it rebound from an unnoticed low? Does it creep up or suddenly spike? Are these spikes always at the same time after taking the antibiotics?). If nothing else it is really helpful for doing basal testing which would help eliminate at least one variable (as @novorapidboi26 suggested). If you are taking antibiotics then your body is fighting an infection which always sends me high, but I tend to find I am consistently high rather than spiking.

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree with all of the above.
What I've learnt more recently (although I should have learnt this 20 years ago) is that certain types of food are not good for my BS no matter if I get the carb ratio right.

Also, how long before you eat do you take your insulin? I've learnt to reduce spikes by taking my insulin around 20 mins before food but again it depends on the food and other variables. For example, if i eat pasta I take 30% of the dose upfront the 70% an hour later.

You will need to establish if your insulin:carb ratio is accurate and once you are confident I'd take it step by step looking at the food you are eating and testing 2 hours after. The ideal increase is no more than 2mmols - but it's not easy and takes a lot of juggling!

One of my personal examples of breakfast. I used to think I was being healthy by eating weetabix or special k with berries. I saw no rise by lunchtime. Then I joined the forum and got a libre... everything changed! My usual breakfast was causing me huge spikes. The same happens with pizza/chips/quite a few carbs.

I hope this helps a little.

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh and being ill pretty much always knocks my levels around, it's quite typical.