Rant Alert - NHS Guidance

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
My blood sugars are regularly around 14 when I go to bed. My diabetic nurse is happy with this because at least I won't hypo! I spoke to a GP recently as my sugars are constantly high - mainly due to a combination of the steroids I take and being in pain - but I got no help at all. So can understand how you feel.

Shakes head, just unbelievable :banghead:

iHs

@Ali H

If I was faced with this dilemma, I would seriusly consider having my parents come to live with me and then I would be able to keep an eye on the bg levels, food and medicstion.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Lou 73, for your own sanity and health, ask to be referred to somebody who does care and can help you. It isn't funny, that is way too high and potentially damaging and they should be helping you. What is it with this bloody ridiculous hypo mantra that is trotted out every time???? My parents and you are a million miles away from a hypo. Mum's pre tea reading tonight, 11.3, oh funny that because that is the mmol figure her A1C equates to as a daily average. That is 7 mmol above hypo territory. I am not asking that they gain the control I currently have, but I do feel that we need to regularly be seeing numbers below 10 and that that is not an unrealistic thing to aim for. Oh but more insulin = more weight gain. Not if they do their jobs as healthcare professionals and explain the effect of carbs. My parents laugh in my face when I discuss it, but until somebody in authority reinforces it I might as well pee in the wind. I am seriously considering marketing the house and placing them into a home and calling it a day tonight. I am totally fed up, demoralised and feel we are in the wilderness when it comes to their care. The carers don't turn up, the district nurses don't turn up and now the diabetes nurse has decided a pat on the arm and a smile will suffice. Why should I keep hitting this brick wall, day in, day out? Have you ever sat and watched your parents die, day by day, afflicted by retinopathy, neuropathy, vascular disease etc etc etc a lot of which is brought on by or exacerbated by out of control levels? Thought not and quite clearly she hasn't........

Ali
Ali H, regarding your comments about putting them in a home. I asked my partner about this as she is a senior carer in a home and I remembered her saying something in the past. She used to take BG readings and give insulin injections, but a decree from above stopped this a couple of years back. Now a nurse visits the home every morning, gives the injections and leaves. So no better off, don't know if it's the same everywhere?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
@Ali H

If I was faced with this dilemma, I would seriusly consider having my parents come to live with me and then I would be able to keep an eye on the bg levels, food and medicstion.

Circumstances sometimes prevail though and prevent patents being cared for by children... No way could I uproot my mum or stepdad a bungalow 160 miles away from their friends to live in a house with me as a Carer... And they aren't diabetic!!

What will happen to us diabetics that have no family???

iHs

Circumstances sometimes prevail though and prevent patents being cared for by children... No way could I uproot my mum or stepdad a bungalow 160 miles away from their friends to live in a house with me as a Carer... And they aren't diabetic!!

What will happen to us diabetics that have no family???

Well yes you have a point but although my Mum died a while ago, when she was alive, I always made sure that I lived within reasonable distance from where she was and when she wasnt well, she always came and stayed with me and my partner and often this ended up being 6 weeks at a time until she was well enough to go home to her own place but even then, we saw each other nearly every day.

For you.....I shudder to think what will happen to your Mum but I hope that you and your hubbie will consider selling up and moving a bit closer so that you can keep an eye on yr Mum and stepdad and not leave it up to nurses and social services.

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Ummmmm, they already live with me, have done so for 9 years now!!!! But that doesn't mean I can make them make the right food choices and not raid the cupboards constantly. I obviously limit what is in the house but it is not my place to deprive them totally and my partner is non D so there are things around for him.

My comment about putting them in care was one of frustration, care is a misnomer in this country, it stands for rip people off for minimal facilities and minimum wage personnel in return.

Ali

Reactions: 4 people

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
iHS it is because they live here that I know exactly what is going on but that doesn't mean I can do anything about it especially medication. That was exactly my point, I think things are out of hand but the Nurse doesn't reinforce it and because they are so scared of hypos they would rather err on the side of caution. That that margin is ridiculously high seems to escape them, that not reinforcing my dietary advice means I am literally laughed at passes them by, they don't live here 24/7 and see the constant battle to keep them out of the bread bin or cereal boxes. You cannot lock doors or cupboards, they do have to make decisions for themselves, but when you are not backed up by healthcare professionals the fight is lost. Telling them the figures are ok is giving them carte blanche to carry on as before.

They did get served a fathead low carb pizza for tea on Friday with a salad though, google for the recipe if you low carb. Might slip in some cauliflower rice this week....... sneaky low carbing is the only way.....

Ali