1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Rant....worry

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Ange1a65, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Ange1a65

Ange1a65 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi....sorry I need to rant and probably waffle.....
    I feel like a fake was diagnosed type 2 a yr ago but due to medication allergies have been controlling with diet only...
    I am due to have some surgery in next few weeks but need to be nil by mouth from 8pm the night before and explained this to DN today as I am worried that most nights around 3am I go to about 4 with usual sweats etc so have a little drink and small amount to eat to get me through rest of night ........but obviously I going to be nil by mouth was worried how low it will go as........her reply was just eat some brown pasta (slow release carbs) night before and you should be ok.......so anxious and wondered if anyone had gone through something similar........hope this makes sense as got myself so worked up :-(
    I also mentioned the pins needles in feet and hands and she said it was doubtful that it was diabetic related!
    And as for getting her to also test my vit d and b12 and thyroid levels she even checked her guidelines for criteria for testing....
    Feel left to it and alone.
    Thanks in advance

• Hug Hug x 3
  2. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

If you are going low I would have thought that the advice would be to avoid carbs - they will surely cause a spike and then a low no matter what the colour.
    Try taking a hot shower - it elevates my BG levels. I get a low mid afternoon if I don't time my meals correctly and have the right amount of carbs, but I needed to change my clothes for an evening out and took a shower and the feeling went, and my BG went up. I tried it again a few days later and had the same response. Maybe try it for yourself before the day and see if you have the same reaction.

3. Ange1a65

Ange1a65 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thank you for the reply.........i am probably just over worried about the 12 hrs nil by mouth( but obviously it going to be more like 16/17 hrs) after the opp and coming round from the anesthic and understand it has to be done to avoid me being sick during the opp.......

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook