Ratio

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
Hello.

Getting sick of my sugar being sky high at dinner time. Ive started carb counting and 1unit of insulin for 5g of carbs is not enough in the morning however if I go by this at night time I would have a hypo. I currently weight 19stone (bodybuilding of 5years but yes I do have fat too which im guessing plays a big part). Im thinking of 1Unit of insulin for 2g of carbs in the morning and at night 1unit of insulin for 10g of carbs? Does anyone else go by this?

-Thanks

mrburden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
I've been carb-counting for about 8 months now. I'm not very active due to foot problems so my insulin to carbs ratio is quite high.
I need 2.5 units per 10g carbs at breakfast and 2 units per 10g carbs at lunch and teatime. This seems to keep my BS levels at around 6-8 all day and through the night, so I'm happy with that. Should I happen to do any unusual exercise, my ratio needs to come down by 1 unit on each of these figures to avoid a hypo.

AMBrennan

It's not uncommon to have different ratios for different meals (in particular, higher insulin doses in the morning), and the sources I've read say that the insulin ratio is usually between 0.5u and 4u per 10g carbohydrates.

slimtony

Hi Beav,

If your meal ratios vary to that great an extent over the day, it might be worth having a look at your basal cover.
If you're using just a single shot of Lantus and/or your dose or timing is wrong, then this can cause meal ratios to get a little bit tricky.

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
Well im on 38 Lantus before bed (11-12pm). I was on 48 but kept having hypos during the night (with in a few hours of my Lantus jab) I always eat before bed so would it be worth putting my Lantus up to 40 and dropping the novarapid for the food before bed slightly?

EDIT: I dropped the lantus 2 units every night until I stopped having hypos.