Re diagnosed from type 2 to 1.5

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Glad that you've been put onto Basal/Bolus. My lovely DN started me on Basal and when she saw my readings over two weeks added the Bolus. She taught me Carb counting on the spot (10 minutes). Started me like most people on a ratio of 1 unit of Bolus to 10gm carbs and I've stayed very near that. Hopefully you will get similar advice so you can get going. As she said a lot of the time you just eye-ball the food on the plate and take a good guess at the carbs and that guess rapidly gets quite good. She gave me a leaflet by Roche which shows typical food pictures and portion size for 10gm. I do look at food packaging and portion size as well, of course, when eating at home.

nhope57

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
After being diagnosed and treated for 10 years for Type 2 I, like a lot of people here, was confirmed as having LADA which has been rightly called Type 1 developed in adulthood but this only happened after I spent time in ICU with DKA which put me in a coma for a few days. I am now on three injections of NovoRapid before meals and one injection of Lantus before bed. It takes time to come to terms with what you can and can't do and also what you have to do but take every chance you get; I feel blessed to have this second chance.
You will find that having to take insulin is definitely something like walking a tightrope with low blood sugar levels to one side of the rope and high blood sugar levels on the other side.
Keep walking that line and controlling your blood sugar levels with your Insulin however you take it but please remember to check your blood sugar levels against your injected insulin and also against your food intake; this checking of numbers is vital to a better lifestyle.

AnnJohnston

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just rediagnosed from type 2 to type 1 today although I've been on insulin for a few months now as no other meds were working. Good to see I'm not alone

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Izzyboo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I informed my insurance today and they really couldn't care less and have the forms printed for the DVLA for as soon as I know what I'm taking, did try to complete it online but fail to validate who I am on the new system lol
My consultant informed me that if you're insulin dependant,you have to check your blood each time you drive and stop every two hours...I had no idea

Lynmi

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
My nurse told me the same, also that if you are hypo, once you have treated it you have to wait for a hour before you can drive. I've since had my forms back from the DVLA and they have put me on a 3 year medical licence as I expected they would. Car insurance is up for renewal this month and it's made no difference at all to my policy