Re-diagnosed (warning)

charon

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed in 2013 with type 2 and controlled it by diet. Recently was feeling had been feeling tired and unable to concentrate. Thought it was an old age type thing. Previous HbA1C was about 8 months ago - 66 mmol/mol - a bit high (had been around 45) but not too bad - doctor thought it was OK? I had gained a bit of weight. Had another in February (about a month ago) and was 113. Took a reading which was 19.7 mmol/l! That was a bit frightening.
Previously when I was diagnosed A1C was 138.2 and personal reading was max around 16.
So thought I was ok but seems I still need to be careful. I think the main problem possibly was lack of exercise although I was probably taking too much sugary things.
Now down to around 4.5 and below - I did get one reading at 3.3 - tried another machine gave 5.3 (I know that one reads high) - original again 4.8. I've been getting a few anomalous readings, think the quality control of test strips not so good now.
Also got a ketone monitor which read 1.8 so I guess that means I'm burning fat. Just found this was available - probably won't read that again, it was just for interest.
The good news is that the level went down a lot faster this time (less than a week) - probably because I knew what to do. The diabetes nurse was happy for me to carry on.
Staple diet Breakfast bacon (naked) + eggs, dinner meat and greens or cheese+meat salad with mayonnaise.
Snacks celery + cottage cheese, mixed nuts (Tescos do smallish pots as I have no will power once something is opened. Plus raspberries/blackberries or blueberries with double cream.
Tend to have a roast once a week with potatoes and yorkshires but the red wine stops it spiking and a full english breakfast once a week - no hash browns. That seems OK too.
Drink - black coffee, green tea, water, protein powder with water when on exercise bike
Not having enough to drink seems to send the level up by up to 2 points so 4.5 to 6.5 ish. Not sure whether that is causing it to read high or dehydration can cause sugar related problems. Either case something to avoid.
I feel generally a lot better now (and not so irritable).

The result is that I will have to keep on testing forever - maybe once a week or two as the A1C isn't often enough. I'll probably be a bit less strict about the diet but I don't really mind it - and need to keep exercising.
I think once the blood sugar spikes a bit then I get lethargic (and don't think rationally) stop doing exercise and eat more which spikes more...
Anyway - added the charts from 2013 and 2022 so you can see what happened.

Attachments

• BloodSugarCharts.pdf
    92.9 KB · Views: 131

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi @charon Congratulations on reducing your BG so quickly.
I'm rather surprised that you didn't take action earlier (when your HbA1C had gone back up to 66.
Carb creep is a big problem and we must all guard against it before it gets out of control.

mariavontrapp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
This is really helpful to me in my current situation. I'm about to start Metformin and am hoping, like you, that I will start to feel a bit better