re hgv licence

jedlad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi i just read today in a truck magazine that as from october this year we can reaply for hgv licences that has been lost with diabetes type 1 insulin controlled it has been through the house of commens and passed i was at truckfest today and spoke with vosa they had not got an answer but took my name and contact no saying i was the 5th person today asking about it and they would find out the details and ring me with some answers asp but things are moving forward so fingers crossed for a huge step forward

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The necessary changes to the regulations haven't yet been put to parliament and until this happens they haven't changed.
There was a short debate on the issue on the 12th July . Here's a few extracts from the minister, Mike Penning.
As I have said to my officials, we will produce proposals on diabetes, which will be based on clinical advice. I will be subject to criticism from those involved in the other areas on which we are not yet ready to introduce proposals. My view, however, is that if we are ready to introduce proposals in one of those areas—by October, we should have a proposal on diabetes
My point of view as a non-medically trained Minister is that a clinician must decide whether someone in the groups that we are talking about—particularly group 2—is fit to drive. Hopefully we will bring forward proposals on diabetes in October. We are further behind in the other two areas and, as the hon. Gentleman said in his remarks, we need more consultation on those issues, in particular on the control of epileptic fits..........................

There is some concern from the road safety lobby that we will be reliant on people addressing their need for insulin treatment themselves. Two members of my family are reliant on insulin—one is a type 1 diabetic; the other is a type 2 diabetic. They sometimes get it wrong, and everybody understands that. We must have full confidence that if diabetes is controlled by insulin, the condition is stable and the clinicians are happy with the situation. If that is the case, we should be able to agree in October that after medical assessment and agreement—which will be continually assessed as things progress—we will allow insulin-reliant diabetics in the classes mentioned by the hon. Gentleman, and particularly those in group 2, to drive. I said that there is some good news......

Yes, we will move the relevant orders in October, when the House returns from recess. The process will start in October in relation to the particular area of diabetes, and more work is required in the other areas. I hope that people understand that I need more time on the other two medical conditions
Full debate here (starts about a third down the page)
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/p ... 1242000479

Woody729

I have just had my HGV 1 and PSV reinstated. They were revoked some 14 months ago when I was prescribed insulin for my diabetes. The process of getting them or it reinstated will take a long time though. If I can be of any help please get in touch.
Cheers.
Neil.