Re monitoring

Ali006

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I' ve had to talk to a Dr today about some other test results. I mentioned I'd bought a monitor. She wasn't that impressed, saying I didn't need to. I explained I was given a link to Diabetes.co.uk for help, advice and support. Among the advice I was given was, get a monitor. So I have. She said it wasn't necessary. I tried to explain that the overall opinion was it helps. She did say she'd speak to the diabetic nurse as she could help with using it and understanding the results.
I've now had a text saying she's spoken to the diabetic nurse, and we would not normally request blood glucose monitoring at home.
I'm now trying to find out if the nurse is going to help or not.
Is there info on this I can read if she is reluctant to help. I have to say I'm a tad frustrated with their attitude.

Lobsang Tsultim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a look at the reply on the other thread :)
The procedure is simple once you've done it once (I can whilst still being blurry-eyed first thing in the morning). The numbers are easy to interpret.

Reactions: Ali006

Ali006

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have a look at the reply on the other thread :)
The procedure is simple once you've done it once (I can whilst still being blurry-eyed first thing in the morning). The numbers are easy to interpret.
Thanks. Now have an appointment June 8th with the nurse. Earliest there was. Although I may not need it now with the info you have posted. I definitely feel better, and more supported having asked on here and seen your reply.
I need to get used to posting too. Lol. x

• Winner
Reactions: Lobsang Tsultim

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I see a lot of posts here where people have mentioned their doctors being upset at people testing at home. I don’t understand why the doctors or nurses would say that when, in my opinion, it’s such a valuable tool

Bash_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery
I' ve had to talk to a Dr today about some other test results. I mentioned I'd bought a monitor. She wasn't that impressed, saying I didn't need to. I explained I was given a link to Diabetes.co.uk for help, advice and support. Among the advice I was given was, get a monitor. So I have. She said it wasn't necessary. I tried to explain that the overall opinion was it helps. She did say she'd speak to the diabetic nurse as she could help with using it and understanding the results.
I've now had a text saying she's spoken to the diabetic nurse, and we would not normally request blood glucose monitoring at home.
I'm now trying to find out if the nurse is going to help or not.
Is there info on this I can read if she is reluctant to help. I have to say I'm a tad frustrated with their attitude.
Firstly which monitor did you purchase. This area is complex, but records are essential for you to learn cause and effect of foods and volumes of each you eat. Learn about food, carbs, sugars slow and fast acting carbs will enable you to see how they effect you. Learn....you are your best Doctor. Try to select a tester that records your results and gives you visibility to your trends.
Good luck

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I just used a notebook to record food, food quantity, before and 2hrs after readings and any other notes such as exercise or alcohol, lack of sleep, stress, c which may affect the readings. I also noted any cold/flu (or injury), antibiotics, steroids etc. which can also raise the high reading up higher.

Go ahead and teach DN about how to really use a BG Meter !

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am an 80 year old granny not at all tecky but I can prick my finger let the monitor suck up the blood and read the numbers !!! .I had been taken off the gliclazide and my readings started to go up so after a few weeks I rang the surgery and got a call back from a GP that I had never spoken to before and he told me that I was very sensible to check my glucose levels and he prescribed the gliclazide and my levels went back down .I had also been told that I didn't need to test by my usual GP and the nurse
Carol

Reactions: ianf0ster