reaction time to correctional dose?

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
would like opinions....how long would you expect it to take to get a positive reaction to a correctional dose?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
megan,

Are we talking about a correction dose on its own or has part of your meal-time injection?

Nigel

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Megan

I'm on Novorapid, and mine this morning came down to a normal reading 2 hours 20 minutes later and was out of my body by 4 hours.

The table gives a guide as to quickly the insulins start to act, between which times they peak and how long their activity lasts for. The speed at which insulin acts may vary in different people and where you inject can have a significant effect too, so the table should only be used as a rough guide to understand how insulin action times can vary. but it so depends on every individual

Insulin
Onset begins
Peak activity occurs
Duration after injecting

Analogue rapid
Within 15 mins
15 mins to 1 hour
3 to 4 hours

Human short
Within 30 mins
1 to 3 hours
6 to 8 hours

Animal short
Within 1 hour
2 to 5 hours
6 to 8 hours

Human intermediate
Within 2 hours
2 to 12 hours
18 to 24 hours

Animal intermediate
Within 2 hours
6 to 12 hours
18 to 24 hours

Analogue long
Within 1 hour
No peak as such
18 to 24 hours

Animal long*
4 to 6 hours
10 to 20 hours
28 to 36 hours

Hope this helps....hope some others can say what they get on animal...will be interesting..

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
noblehead said:
megan,

Are we talking about a correction dose on its own or has part of your meal-time injection?

Nigel
hi...both would be interesting to know about different peoples experiences.......although i am finding myself with similarities with many........there may be a standard thought but no set rule to any one person as so many things contribute to making us all so different...just a pity my diabetes team weren't aware of that fact..or in fact....many other facts :roll:

Snodger

If I'm having it as part of meal time injection, then it will depend on what I'm eating - the point where the carbs hit my system and whether that coincides with the peak insulin action. Obviously, ideally they coincide, but in real life that happens less often than I'd like.

If I were doing a correctional dose with no food, eg if I found I was high in the middle of the afternoon and just wanted to pull it down to reasonable levels, I would expect to wait about 20 mins for it to kick in. I'm on Humalog.

sugar2

For me, I see downward movement about 20 min after taking a correction dose....and I stop going down about 3 hours later. I guess this fits in with what D Dogs posted. For me, I can go a bit OTT with corrections, so have to be patient..otherwise I hit the correction hypo eat something correction cycle which is no good at all!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Me too for sometimes wanting to bring my levels down quicker, and then end up overtreating and hypo, but am now getting more used to the idea of not coming down too fast. If it takes 3 hours for it to happen, and it doesn't plummet in to hypoland, then I am happy with that.

With the pump though, I do like to see some movement downward within 30 minutes, just incase it is caused by the pump and gadgets. If I know it is my fault, then I let things be now.