Reactive hypoglycaemia?

Jojothorpe

Hello, I’m looking for some help.
I’ve felt pretty rotten for the past 3+ years, blurry vision, tiredness, dizzy, frequent trips to the loo, palpitations.... I’ve been tested for most things, and am otherwise healthy.
My fasting bs is usually around 110, my hba1c was 36 last time, but I’ve recently been testing more, and have noticed big drops (to 2.9 once) coinciding with feeling absolutely dreadful.
In your opinion, could I have Reactive Hypoglycemia?
Thanks again for reading

Jojothorpe

Hello, I’m looking for some help.
I’ve felt pretty rotten for the past 3+ years, blurry vision, tiredness, dizzy, frequent trips to the loo, palpitations.... I’ve been tested for most things, and am otherwise healthy.
My fasting bs is usually around 110, my hba1c was 36 last time, but I’ve recently been testing more, and have noticed big drops (to 2.9 once) coinciding with feeling absolutely dreadful.
In your opinion, could I have Reactive Hypoglycemia?
Thanks again for reading
I should add that I have been following a low carb diet since November, which has helped, but now I’m finding that even a satsuma messes me up - yesterday I dropped to 3.4 after eating one

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @Jojothorpe

Welcome to the forum.

Obviously we cannot diagnose you, but we can help with dietary choices.
Could you give us an idea of what you eat during a normal day.

We have a sub forum on Reactive Hypoglycaemia, click on forums and scroll down or use search. Having a read of the sticky thread will give you a better understanding of hypoglycaemia.

Keep safe

Jojothorpe

Hi @Jojothorpe

Welcome to the forum.

Obviously we cannot diagnose you, but we can help with dietary choices.
Could you give us an idea of what you eat during a normal day.

We have a sub forum on Reactive Hypoglycaemia, click on forums and scroll down or use search. Having a read of the sticky thread will give you a better understanding of hypoglycaemia.

Keep safe
Hi, thanks for replying.
On a typical day I would have;
2 pieces of banana loaf (almond flour, eggs, & about 1/4 of a banana in each portion) with peanut butter (no sugar)
Meat & salad for lunch (no dressings)
Apple or Satsuma
Then dinner would be meat & veg - no potatoes, sometimes carrots, lots of greens.
I will check out the sub forum

Reactions: Lamont D

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, thanks for replying.
On a typical day I would have;
2 pieces of banana loaf (almond flour, eggs, & about 1/4 of a banana in each portion) with peanut butter (no sugar)
Meat & salad for lunch (no dressings)
Apple or Satsuma
Then dinner would be meat & veg - no potatoes, sometimes carrots, lots of greens.
I will check out the sub forum

The only problem I can see is your first meal.
If you do have reactive hypoglycaemia, the start of the day is very important and having banana loaf or banana might not be the best.
Fruit could be a problem as well as the bread, any grains will be not recommended depending on your intolerance to them.
The rest sounds fine, keep an eye on the carrots, too many is not good.

To explain more, you react to carbs and sugars if you have RH. Even so called healthy low GI foods could trigger a reaction.

If after reading the forum, do keep asking questions, you may want to start a food diary seeing that you have a glucometer.
This way you can track what foods are causing your problem and it will help with your doctor understanding what is going on.

Keep safe

Reactions: Jojothorpe