Reactive Hypoglycaemia

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi thanks for the reply, I currently don't use any kind of milk. I do have a meter and I test my self. Can you please give an example of things to eat for breakfast and before sleep? I know we are all different and maybe what works for you is not what works, for me but I am curious to see what do you eat during your day. I recently moved to another country and don't have an endocrinologist I already made an appointment with one but it cannot see me until September. Even last night I was feeling terrible and could not sleep, is just stressful. Thanks and I hope to read more of your diet. Oh and before I go do you take any supplements?
Most mornings I have Greek full fat yoghurt with a few berries, this keeps me full for a few hours and then at about 10, I have a small apple, then for lunch, I have a ham salad, with all kinds of different lettuce types or baby leaf, spinach, tomatoes, eggs, cucumber, beetroot etc. I have a small piece of fruit at 3, like a pear.
For tea today I had homemade chicken curry with a side salad.
For supper more yoghurt with berries and a couple of pieces of 85% dark chocolate.

There is a list of low carb recipes and ideas on the low carb forum as well threads about what low carbers eat for different meals.

I do omelette, fry ups, fish, some pulses, homemade soups, and more!

If you have favourites, you can test to see how much of the specific food you can tolerate!
Supplements!
No I don't need them, though, there are those that need them. I'm just fortunate!
Hang on! I take extra salt especially when it's hot! (Ha!) I drink a lot of tea, black, no sugar and strong! I allow for one diet coke a day!
I used to be a terrible sleeper as well until I got real control of my blood sugar.
I have had really vivid dreams and lots of deja vu!
Hardly a day goes by, when I get that feeling!
I am weird, I have been told, but I'm unique as well!

Reactions: 4 people

Edu616

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
So I tried to have a protein fatty breakfast this morning that consisted of scrambled eggs with bacon, because in the morning I have notice that carbs make me feel bloated and sick. But my results were bad my sugar went to 70mg/dL which I was feeling sick already. Before breakfast I had it at 90mg/dL and I felt good. I mean is brekfast making me sick?

Reactions: 2 people

crazycatlady42

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I find making sauces from scratch the best way to get taste and variation daily. That way I know there's no added sugar and it has the added advantage of being fairly cheap.

Reactions: 3 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I do believe that after quite a few of us RH ers, have posted, that milk is a problem for most of us, and I might be reading into things, but it is becoming a part of a pattern.
Is it?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
So I tried to have a protein fatty breakfast this morning that consisted of scrambled eggs with bacon, because in the morning I have notice that carbs make me feel bloated and sick. But my results were bad my sugar went to 70mg/dL which I was feeling sick already. Before breakfast I had it at 90mg/dL and I felt good. I mean is brekfast making me sick?

I'm not used to converting, but 70 is around or just under normal levels. 90 is around the top range of normal, I always keep in that range, maybe you do need more full fat to reduce your digestion a bit slower.
On Wikipedia, there is a type of RH, called 'dumping syndrome'.
One of the best tips is to drink more water between meals.
Eat little and often during the day even having something low carb every hour.
It mentions that there are meds to slow digestion.
When eventually you do see your endocrinologist, mention these things that you notice that makes you hypo and what you've done to feel better!
Keep a food diary and record everything, make sure you record album your readings, before, at one hour after, then two hours. I wouldn't go past that period without food!
Hope this helps.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I forgot to mention that I don't think it's the food, it's the symptoms of your particular RH. Your breakfast combination is fine, it's how you react!
Carbs are my enemy and I avoid them as much as possible, you have to discover, determine, decide how to live mostly without them!
I would like to say different but a new lifestyle is going to change your life!

Edu616

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not used to converting, but 70 is around or just under normal levels. 90 is around the top range of normal, I always keep in that range, maybe you do need more full fat to reduce your digestion a bit slower.
On Wikipedia, there is a type of RH, called 'dumping syndrome'.
One of the best tips is to drink more water between meals.
Eat little and often during the day even having something low carb every hour.
It mentions that there are meds to slow digestion.
When eventually you do see your endocrinologist, mention these things that you notice that makes you hypo and what you've done to feel better!
Keep a food diary and record everything, make sure you record album your readings, before, at one hour after, then two hours. I wouldn't go past that period without food!
Hope this helps.

Lets see How I do I've never tried full fat yogurt, so I'll try that since I have read that might help to lower digestion a bit. But I'll have to see what to mix it to have some flavor on it. And I always try to have water between meals and snacks. My problem is that when my BG start reaching 75 I start feeling bad. Thanks for the tips.

MosheBenYehuda

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lets see How I do I've never tried full fat yogurt, so I'll try that since I have read that might help to lower digestion a bit. But I'll have to see what to mix it to have some flavor on it. And I always try to have water between meals and snacks. My problem is that when my BG start reaching 75 I start feeling bad. Thanks for the tips.
I have found after experimenting nearly all available fruit, that mixing blueberries with FF Greek/Turkish yogurt, makes it absolutely palatable and yummy, and doesn't spike my BG at all. Also some home roast peanuts are a perfect match, even as a light meal.

Reactions: 5 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If my sums for converting is right that's about 4.2 in mmols!!

That's about my normal fasting level.

Do you know what happens if you fast for more than 6 hours, that doesn't include sleep?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have found after experimenting nearly all available fruit, that mixing blueberries with FF Greek/Turkish yogurt, makes it absolutely palatable and yummy, and doesn't spike my BG at all. Also some home roast peanuts are a perfect match, even as a light meal.
I forgot about the nuts!

Edu616

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
If my sums for converting is right that's about 4.2 in mmols!!

That's about my normal fasting level.

Do you know what happens if you fast for more than 6 hours, that doesn't include sleep?

Do you mean after waking up and see for how much until I need to eat? I haven't tried for that long but will see on Saturday.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Do you mean after waking up and see for how much until I need to eat? I haven't tried for that long but will see on Saturday.
Yes and no!
Have you gone without food for more than 6 hours to see what happens. It doesn't have to be on waking. You could have breakfast (low carb) then eat after so many hours. Testing every half hour.
I have a fasting day every week if not working!
It gives my body a rest from eating all the time!

Edu616

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes and no!
Have you gone without food for more than 6 hours to see what happens. It doesn't have to be on waking. You could have breakfast (low carb) then eat after so many hours. Testing every half hour.
I have a fasting day every week if not working!
It gives my body a rest from eating all the time!
Good to know! I will have to try and see.Thanks. I found a link to make convercions from mg/dL to mmol
http://en.mte.cz/conversion.php?mmol=&mg=81&count_it=1 just in case you need it in the future and I'll try to do the conversions before posting in here thanks again.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Good to know! I will have to try and see.Thanks. I found a link to make convercions from mg/dL to mmol
http://en.mte.cz/conversion.php?mmol=&mg=81&count_it=1 just in case you need it in the future and I'll try to do the conversions before posting in here thanks again.
My maths weren't that bad, were they?
You divide by 18! It's approximate, just like testing.
If you weren't aware, testing can be a few percentage points out. But it's not essential as you can really only be concerned with 'rogue' results. If you get the feeling that the reading isn't quite right, then retest!
What you are trying to achieve is to see if there are patterns to what you eat and that's why you record everything.
You get to know what your body likes!

Reactions: 4 people

crazycatlady42

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I do believe that after quite a few of us RH ers, have posted, that milk is a problem for most of us, and I might be reading into things, but it is becoming a part of a pattern.
Is it?
Could be a pattern emerging. Coincidence or linked symptoms??

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Could be a pattern emerging. Coincidence or linked symptoms??
I know that on a low carb you have to avoid lactose, but I've not read any of other RH ers be lactose intolerant, just that most of us can't or won't drink it!
Maybe both! Maybe none!
But it is there!
Is it only milk and can like me just have the odd dairy food, like I love full fat yoghurt but can't eat cheese.
We have to wait and see if the others can read more into it!

Rootitoot

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I hate people that drive selfishly/inconsiderately. Also, I hate getting up early (mainly because I sleep so badly !)
Hi, @MrBigglesworth
A low GI diet is still loaded with carbs, this is where they come unstuck with advice.
A low, low carb diet, just meat, salad, homemade soups and curries, above ground veg. Full fat foods such as cream, yoghurt, butter, cheese. Have an English breakfast, such as bacon, egg, sausage, tomatoes, etc.
Don't have processed foods or low or no fat foods, they are full of sugars.
There are plenty of recipes on the low carb forum.

I am new to all this with a new Type 2 diagnosis and was interested in what you said above about good food to eat. I was wondering what your thoughts were on milk (I usually use semi-skimmed) as you didn't mention it with the other dairy items ? I was also very surprised when I had a bowl of porridge with sweetener and my level shot up ! Wondered if it was partly the milk or whether to blame the porridge !?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @Rootitoot

As a newly diagnosed T2, you do not need to have such a restricted lifestyle as I do.
You will need to restrict the amount of carbs and sugars.

Milk is lactose, which is a sugar, any variations are just as bad, except full fat, but even that contains sugars. Cream is lower in sugar and carbs, butter is very good. Anything low fat or reduced fat is misleading because instead of 'good' fats they replace it with produced sugars, which again are not good for blood glucose levels. And of course control.

I cannot tolerate milk or dairy as it makes me ill even though tests have proved that I'm not lactose intolerant!

Porridge sends my blood glucose levels high. But only testing will let you know wether you are or not. Water with porridge is preferable and rolled oats are better than the ones you get in the shops. You have to discover what you can tolerate by using a meter.

Also sweeteners can raise your bloods a little.

Hope this helps.