Reactive Hypoglycaemia

LizRayner

Have they given her a dietician?
Have they told her to stop eating anything but low carbs?
Has she had her fasting.tests and oral glucose test.
Is she on any meds?
The best way to adapt to trying to control is to eat small and often.
Something like

Breakfast
Yoghurt and a few berries
2hrs
Bacon and egg
2hrs
Ham salad
2hrs
Homemade soup
2hrs
Meat with veg
2hrs
A small Apple or such fruit
2hrs
Yoghurt with either berries or 85% chocolate.

You get the idea. This of course can be supplemented with her own requirements and taste.
Sorry if too many questions

Hope this helps.
(Choose stuff like Pears, lower in sugar than apples, sweet potatoes, brown rice, make your own brown/wholemeal bread rolls so you can make small ones) Lots of salad - turkey, chicken, fish...watch out for Carbs in the yoghurts! Red skinned peanuts make a great low GI snack and help keep full for longer.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
(Choose stuff like Pears, lower in sugar than apples, sweet potatoes, brown rice, make your own brown/wholemeal bread rolls so you can make small ones) Lots of salad - turkey, chicken, fish...watch out for Carbs in the yoghurts! Red skinned peanuts make a great low GI snack and help keep full for longer.
Unfortunately for us RH ers, even some of the ones you have listed would have adverse effect on me!
It cannot be low GI, it has to be very low carb, and I mean any grains, starch, dairy and anything that isn't really low in carbs. It's about tolerance and not spiking!

We have to be so careful of what we eat. , small and often is recommended.

Blank.

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
"Wow I am feeling unfit today, getting all sweaty..."

"... Oh wait."

You'd think by now I would be cued into the early signs. :p

Reactions: 4 people

LizRayner

Unfortunately for us RH ers, even some of the ones you have listed would have adverse effect on me!
It cannot be low GI, it has to be very low carb, and I mean any grains, starch, dairy and anything that isn't really low in carbs. It's about tolerance and not spiking!

We have to be so careful of what we eat. , small and often is recommended.
Ah, that would explain why my blood sugar has gone up from 5.1 to 7.9 then!!! Will pull back on those carbs to less than 20g and see what happens! Thanks for info - very helpful. I am trying Lactose Free milk - what are your thoughts on it please?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Liz,

Dairy is not my thing, for some reason I have never had milk or other dairy products, I've been tested for lactose intolerance but I'm not.
I just don't like any form of milk or milk products except full fat Greek yoghurt.
Obviously, lactose is our problem with dairy and the sugar (lactose) turns to glucose and of course is quickly digested. So anything sugar free, has to be alright, as long as you know what's replacing the lactose.
Maybe someone will help you , who has tried it.

KayeStevenson

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Reading of 4.1 this morning. Feeling really horrible, shaky, lightheaded and dull headache. Just had to phone in sick as don't think I could walk to the train station. Will try to raise BG slowly. Upset as I've been doing so well.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reading of 4.1 this morning. Feeling really horrible, shaky, lightheaded and dull headache. Just had to phone in sick as don't think I could walk to the train station. Will try to raise BG slowly. Upset as I've been doing so well.

Is it Monday-morning-stress? That gets me sometimes.
Just had a week of annual leave, and had trouble getting to sleep anticipating my In Box this morning.
:(
Gets us all, sometimes, I am afraid.

How you feeling now?

KayeStevenson

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all for the hugs! I'm feeling a bit better Brun. I had some raspberries with full fat Greek yoghurt and now sipping a coffee with cream. Will test again in a bit.

Reactions: 3 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you all for the hugs! I'm feeling a bit better Brun. I had some raspberries with full fat Greek yoghurt and now sipping a coffee with cream. Will test again in a bit.
When you get one of those days, just keep an eye on it but don't over adjust because you feel low and awful. That's the worst of it. Tomorrow will be better. It's best just to do what you normally do, low carb and get to tomorrow without upsetting or making things worse. Take it easy, don't do anything strenuous or physical, it could be similar to a cold or could be one of them yuk woman's thingimybob things.
Hormones, that's it!
Hope you feel better soon.

KayeStevenson

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Nosher! I was going to mention those yucky hormones but I know you are sensitive to such topics :D reading 5 mins ago was 5.7. Too much of a jump for my liking but feeling better. Going to go back to bed with a book for an hour or so and see how it goes.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks Nosher! I was going to mention those yucky hormones but I know you are sensitive to such topics :D reading 5 mins ago was 5.7. Too much of a jump for my liking but feeling better. Going to go back to bed with a book for an hour or so and see how it goes.

Sometimes I can just work through the bad days. I believe that if it's not too bad, it is just another bad day, there will be more to come. It's the not too stressful days and feeling good days that do it for me. Usually my bad days have a lot to do with sleep, dreams, and colds, man flu especially at this time of the year.
My weight loss has a lot to do with feeling cold and I'm not a great lover of cold weather, prefer it hot and sunny! Sometimes days like today make me feel rougher or if it's wet and windy, as I work outside.
Hope you are better later.

KayeStevenson

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. Felt dreadful all yesterday but managed to eat as follows:

B raspberries and cream, coffee cream, Actimel
L half avocado, prawns, Mayo
S hard boiled egg
D Mediterranean vegetable soup: peppers, courgette, tinned tomatoes
S 4 Brazil nuts

Pre bed reading 6.8, out of ketosis. Had a really rough sleep and could actually feel myself going into ketosis. FBG 4.5 about 15 mins ago. Another day off work :(

KayeStevenson

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning!
Take it easy!

Thanks Nosher. Still in the mid to high 4s. Moving from bed to kitchen is about the most I have managed this morning...sigh. I know some might love low readings but my body doesn't. Some egg mayo and smoked salmon for lunch but I have no appetite when I am low so it will be a struggle!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks Nosher. Still in the mid to high 4s. Moving from bed to kitchen is about the most I have managed this morning...sigh. I know some might love low readings but my body doesn't. Some egg mayo and smoked salmon for lunch but I have no appetite when I am low so it will be a struggle!
Just have a small mouthful every couple of hours of your favourite low carb meals.
Make sure you drink plenty of water.
That's all you can do., just keep an eye on your readings.
And relax!

Reactions: 2 people

KayeStevenson

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. 4.4 at 6.30am. Have made it onto the train to work but feeling very shaky and difficulty concentrating/coordinating. Sipping coffee cream and have cheese slices on hand.

Reactions: 2 people

Miketor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Folks

Recommended I come and take a look here by a member of this forum, also a member of another.

I have had RH for 40 odd years, but only got a name put to my symptoms about 10 years ago, then last year was diagnosed Type 2.

I am struggling with diet to balance the 2 conditions. I had the RH under control until the Type 2 came along. Just looking for ideas and support as my GP offers little and my diabetic nurse and dietician, whilst recognising RH are unable to offer much in the way of managing my diet.

Going to take me a while to read all the posts and catch up, but first glance is interesting.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Folks

Recommended I come and take a look here by a member of this forum, also a member of another.

I have had RH for 40 odd years, but only got a name put to my symptoms about 10 years ago, then last year was diagnosed Type 2.

I am struggling with diet to balance the 2 conditions. I had the RH under control until the Type 2 came along. Just looking for ideas and support as my GP offers little and my diabetic nurse and dietician, whilst recognising RH are unable to offer much in the way of managing my diet.

Going to take me a while to read all the posts and catch up, but first glance is interesting.

Hi and Welcome!

- and thanks to your friends who have recommended our wee sub-forum! The more the merrier :D

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Welcome @Miketor
This is the unique club of those with RH.

@Brunneria is the expert on RH with T2. She will give you all the best answers to all your questions.

From both of our experiences we find that carbs, any carbs, are what trigger the spike.
We have also found that whatever else we do, we have to stay in normal blood glucose levels range to be well.
The only treatment that works for both RH and T2 is a very low carb diet.

If you have any questions, please ask, and we will help you if we can.