Reactive Hypoglycemia Misery

jimmyjimmy

Hey folks,

Hope you are doing as well as you can be.

I have had Reactive hypoglycemia for 5 years now. I have had lots of advice in particular i am eating a low GI diet, eating more granary toast, having protein snacks with fiber is also helping my symptoms. However since being diagnosed i have not gone abroad as i worry my symptoms will come on and it has caused me alot of anxiety. This year i am wanting to go abroad in September.

I kindly wondered what the rules are in the airport, i drink highland spring water as normal water can set off my symptoms with it not being as pure. Would i be able to bring water in a drawstring bag with some toast and peanut butter in case i have any low blood sugar symptoms while i am flying? Would i need any kind of doctors note or further information regarding carrying this?

Further in trying to manage my symptoms further there is some organic greens supplements in a capsule, that include organic fruit and vegetables that can be bought off Amazon i wondered if anyone has tried this to try and stabilise their blood sugar? Further i have heard Chromium can reduce the symptoms of Reactive hypoglycemia and some people no longer have any symptoms has anyone tried this?

Thank you so much for reading my post and any information you may be able to give me. Thank you again.

Regards,

Jimmy

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey folks,

Hope you are doing as well as you can be.

I have had Reactive hypoglycemia for 5 years now. I have had lots of advice in particular i am eating a low GI diet, eating more granary toast, having protein snacks with fiber is also helping my symptoms. However since being diagnosed i have not gone abroad as i worry my symptoms will come on and it has caused me alot of anxiety. This year i am wanting to go abroad in September.

I kindly wondered what the rules are in the airport, i drink highland spring water as normal water can set off my symptoms with it not being as pure. Would i be able to bring water in a drawstring bag with some toast and peanut butter in case i have any low blood sugar symptoms while i am flying? Would i need any kind of doctors note or further information regarding carrying this?

Further in trying to manage my symptoms further there is some organic greens supplements in a capsule, that include organic fruit and vegetables that can be bought off Amazon i wondered if anyone has tried this to try and stabilise their blood sugar? Further i have heard Chromium can reduce the symptoms of Reactive hypoglycemia and some people no longer have any symptoms has anyone tried this?

Thank you so much for reading my post and any information you may be able to give me. Thank you again.

Regards,

Jimmy
Hello Jimmy, as far as I'm aware it is no liquids more than a 100ml through security, I think that would apply to peanut butter. I could be wrong but I've seen an example at airport displaying bottles and jars. Maybe a snack pot and dry food like a sandwich or something is okay. After you passed security, there should be a duty free area with food and restaurants. You can purchase water and other bits there.
I have no experience of RH, so hopefully someone can come along and comment on the supplements etc. Enjoy your holiday!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am rather puzzled as to why you are eating bread - it is so high in carbs - and that is what triggers R.H. from what I have read.
As a Type two I avoid peanuts as they are a legume, and cause me to spike, and fruit - organic or whatever - are high in carbs as are some veges - for most people stabilizing blood glucose involves not eating carbohydrate in quantity.

Blue30

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally, I would definitely contact the airline and get advice.
I have peanuts as a snack which also lowers my bg if I'm a running a tad high. I have had these onboard in the past, but now understand that they and other foods are currently BANNED on flights, due to allergic reaction to other passengers. Even opening a packet of peanuts/nuts can do harm.
I'm not sure what I will be able to eat on future flights as meals on airlines are certainly detrimental to me... even 'diabetic' meals. Sadly airlines do not offer lchf/ keto meals for diabetics like myself.

Miss.T. Morning

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only

jimmyjimmy
Hi, sorry for the late reply. I travel a lot and have been on the keto diet since February with no problems in airports or on planes. All the large airports have restaurants and shops where you can buy the food of your choice. Your own packed food items can be taken on planes and water can be bought from the airport shops. If you are carrying water through security it has to be in 100ml size bottles. Boots & Smiths usually have a shop in the airport and it may be worth a phone call to see whether they stock the brand of water you like. Best wishes, enjoy your holiday.