Reactive Hypoglycemia Sadness

jimmytootime

Hey everyone, hope you are having a splendid day. The sun was out up here in Yorkshire in the UK a few hours ago, i have not seen that for many months, that made me smile.

I have been managing okay with my Reactive Hypoglycemia for years. However sadly i appear to be having episodes between meals of feeling slightly weak and trembly. Nothing major really, but still enough to make me feel uncomfortable.

Does anyone have any good snack ideas please that may help with these small episodes until my next meal? I know the plan is to limit carbohydrates and increase protein, fiber. The only thing that i feel maybe lacking from my diet is fat as i am very skinny. Would adding almond butter to meals or snacks help with these episodes do you think?

Thank you for any advice you can give and thanks alot for your time. I hope you all have a happy 2020.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @jimmytootime and welcome!

The idea is to cut the carbs, eat normal protein (or just increase it slightly), and increase the fat and fibre. Please don’t skimp on the fat. We really need good quality fats (unprocessed fats like dairy, animal fat and fish oils, or olive oil, hemp and flax. They feed our brains, our skins, our joints, and fuel us. Every gram of carb you don’t eat, you can replace with half a gram of fat, or you risk getting skinnier and skinnier).

Its the fat, fibre and protein that fill you up and release energy slowly, which keeps your blood glucose steady. So from what you describe, I suggest a few things could work. You just have to decide which you want to do - although there is no reason why you can't do them all.

- eat larger meals so that you don’t get hungry so quickly (just adding fat such as olive oil or mayo to salads, or cheese and butter over hot veg will make a huge difference)
- snack on the cheese and olives @Diakat suggested, or pate, handfuls of nuts, cold meats, dips, cream cheese, crackling and pork scratchings...
- schedule in coffee with cream, low carb hot chocolate, golden milk drinks

hope that helps.

please don’t skimp on your healthy fat intake, it is the difference between chugging along on this way of eating, and delighting in it. :)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I agree with brun, fats are a really good source of nutritional value for those like us who have to limit our carbs.
I assume that you are still eating small meals, every three hours, with a small amount of carbs that you allow yourself, as with the treatment recommended by your doctors.
I found this treatment is not helping controlling blood glucose levels. I found it easier to eat two meals a day, as little carbs as possible and used intermittent fasting ignoring breakfast and of course portion control for my nutritional needs.

RH is caused by food and how your body copes using insulin, too little first then too much later, that is what causes all the symptoms.
Do read around the RH forum.
See how we cope without carbs

Best wishes

Reactions: pearlzo and Lotties