Readings at diagnosis

Brownie1993

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just out of pure curiosity, what was everyone's readings at diagnosis? Mine was 44

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow, that's super high! Mine was 29 and apart from being a bit tired and thirsty I was not feeling particularly unwell.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
you know, I cant even remember...........

was a while back now and I wasn't really focused as I kinda new what was happening anyway having a younger brother being type 1 ever since I was born and having been participating in a diabetic study at the time......

I wasn't rushed in or anything, my parents just asked me to come in from outside one day and took me along to the hospital......

Jonathan CB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
36.0 i remember my doctor's reaction standing up and holding a urine ketone stick up to the window, his face said it all and he rushed out to get the senior doctor to test my blood, from that moment i was a Diabetic, to say it was that high i wasn't too ill just feeling tired, drinking too much fluids, passing lots of urine and losing weight.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I thought my 31 was high, guess not. Only had classic symptoms like Jonathan above but didn't feel ill. GP seemed surprised that I could stand up and walk.

Reactions: 4 people

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a 29.2 which in the grand scheme of things isn't as high as others. But I was in a really bad way as I had been getting ill for several months before hand so it could have been in the twenties for weeks. I felt so ill that before diagnosis I didn't have the strength to walk up stairs, I was crawling at the end on my hands and knees. Bad times. Urgh

Claire007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
All very recent for me! My BG was 20, ( after fasting from midnight) hba1c was 108. Got it down to 83 in 3 weeks but obviously still have some way to go!

Reactions: 2 people

teacher123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I started noticing increased thirst and once I started having to visit the toilet during the night I knew I was diabetic because I've never had to do that in my life before. Had to insist on getting urine and blood tests as soon as possible because was feeling worse each day. Still was forcing myself to teach four or five lessons a day, marking in the evenings and barely sleeping at night. When diagnosed, sugars were 23 and all the crying had been done by that stage, usually at the bus stop haha. Losing a stone in two weeks is quite incredible!

Keep going everyone! :)

encore1332

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not nice stuff
am i the only one who put on weight? put on about a stone

Brownie1993

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@encore1332 you put on weight leading up to diagnosis? That's odd... I lost 2 and a half stone in 2 weeks. Diagnosed at Amsterdam airport , the day I was due to fly back after my year in holland! Was a split second away from putting my bags through and but something stopped me.. Dread to think what would have happened if I got on that plane

Loopy88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine was well over 30. I hadn't been well for a while and was thirsty all the time. I lost nearly 2 stone in weight and eventually just begged my parents to take me to the doctors. Did a urine sample and he confirmed it. I then had to wait with my Dad in the waiting room for what seemed like forever while the doctor hand wrote a letter and then I was off to hospital. Fluids and drips galore and a huge amount of information that I just couldn't take in. One of THE worst days of my life

Omega46b

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
27,5 and i ate cheesburger and drunk a coke just 15 minutes before
Told by my doctor today I am diabetic reading after fasting was 13 .i hope to get this down by a change in diet and exercise and hopefully soon ,if I am honest with myself my diet was very poor so time for a change

Omega46b

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Told by my doctor today I am diabetic reading after fasting was 13 .i hope to get this down by a change in diet and exercise and hopefully soon ,if I am honest with myself my diet was very poor so time for a change
Sorry put this in the wrong place

Constantin21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
14.8 fasting with a diagnosis I was type 2 because according to my ex GP 'at 34 years old I was too old to be type 1' despite having lost nearly 2 stone in 3 months!! Luckily myself & my sister work in the local hospital & disagreed with the GPS diagnosis, my sister is a secretary to the diabetic consultant, who I was very fortunate to see on the same day, my ketones were 4.7. I was given a novorapid pen & give myself my first injection of insulin plus pints & pints of water to flush the ketones out of me 6 hours later I was let out of hospital got home & phoned to cancel the 2 wk all inclusive holiday to Rhodes I was supposed to be going on the following day....if I'd listened to my GPS decision things my have been very different. Possibly having DKA on holiday in a foreign country may not have had a happy ending!! On 05/09/15 it'll be my one year anniversary, it hasn't been easy but I consider myself lucky & hope maybe one day I can say 'I had diabetes'

Matt J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It was a long time ago but I think it was in the high 30's. Had the typical symptoms - unquenchable thirst, constantly going to the toilet, felt awful, even though I was skinny (still am) I lost weight as well. Hoping whatever it was would just go away I eventually got dragged by my Mum to the GP (threw up at the doctors as well) and straight away I was then admitted to hospital on saline and insulin drips. When I went back to the doc's to get my new insulin prescription and associated gubbins - BM sticks etc he cheerily said if I hadn't gone in that day I'd have probably been dead.

C-Mack

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fasting was just over 22 and A1C was 13%. The readings in my first week on metformin was mid 20s before a meal and into the 30s after a meal. Ketone reading and my bs made my Diabetic nurse disagreed with type 2 and put me on insulin...

That was just over 3 months ago, now readings are between 5 - 7 before meals and 7 - 11 for the most part after meals. Yay! Last a1c was 6.5%.

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine was 44, I had a throat infection which wouldn't shift, very lethargic and listless, and had lost about 3st in the previous 6 months. it was a relief when I was diagnosed, it explained a lot. I would say it took about two years of good control for me to feel like my old self.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Guys, newly diagnosed on Monday with Blood Sugar levels of 29 and had blurred vision, thirst and all that with ketones of +4 and spend 3 days in Hospital and got out on Thursday