Real Meal Tv

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I fancy that gem squash recipe too - but Google tells me that though UK supermarkets may sell these little squashes they appear to be seasonal autumn produce. But I'll give it a go with the buttenut ones until then.

Robbity

My local Lidl and M&S sell gem squash, when in season. Lidl label all their varieties "Seasonal Squash", so you have to be able to recognise it. Thank goodness for mobile phone with photos. :)

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
@derry60 it just shows again that we are all different. I can have mashed swede with loads of butter and pepper but cant tolerate carrots. Dont know about you but I think as long as we can find some veg apart from above ground greens that agree with us then we are lucky indeed.
I think that I may give the Swede a go..Now a Swede or not a Swede..Is the Swede that you eat the small ones with white flesh or the larger ones with yellow flesh? I ask because of the small ones with the white flesh are called a Turnip which is lower in carbs and the large one with yellow flesh is a Swede. It depends on where you come from lol..Always confusing

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Swede (or rutabaga) is larger and has yellow flesh, a turnip is smaller and has white flesh. Both have very low carbs.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mashed Swede is excellent, with plenty of pepper it reminds me of the heaven that is a Cornish Pasty. I cut the Swede into 2cm cubes and boil until soft in salted water, it takes a bit longer than potatoes. After draining and mashing I return it to the heat to steam off some of the moisture. Season and add butter if you want. It never gets as smooth as mashed potato as it has so much fibre but is delicious non the less. If I was miraculously cured I would still eat it.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@derry60 the swede I eat is the larger yellow flesh one and I cook it the same as @Mr_Pot has suggested but I do add a big knob of butter agree the pepper is essential. Its a devil to cut and I always choose long types to cut in half vertically and then slice each half. You can but try. I dont have a big portion but it is lovely with lamb.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
@derry60 the swede I eat is the larger yellow flesh one and I cook it the same as @Mr_Pot has suggested but I do add a big knob of butter agree the pepper is essential. Its a devil to cut and I always choose long types to cut in half vertically and then slice each half. You can but try. I dont have a big portion but it is lovely with lamb.
Ahhh many refer that to Swede and the little ones with white flesh Turnip..The Turnip is lower in carbs, but since moving up North in UK, they only do Swede with the yellow flesh. When I asked them if they did Turnips they looked at me as if I had two heads lol..London you can get both. I am deffo going to try some swede though because I love Swede and have kept away from it since being Pre-diabetic. Mmmm lashings of butter and pepper, this is how I like eating it also.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I made this a while ago when someone from the US was confused. Rutabaga = Swede.
Rutabaga-turnip1.jpg

You might also be interested in this if you have a Co-op.
Swede.jpg