Really Bad Numbness In My Feet

HomerSimpson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone

I hope you are all well. I’ve been having very bad numbness in my feet recently. So far, my feet have retained the sense of touch; thus, I can tell whether something is hot or cold by simply touching it with my feet. I’m a little concerned I maybe having diabetic complications. As exhausting as it maybe, I try my best to control my BG.

Does anyone know how long I have left before I develop neuropathy and PAD? Just don’t want this to get any worse.

My feet feel numb even as I’m typing now.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I hope you are all well. I’ve been having very bad numbness in my feet recently. So far, my feet have retained the sense of touch; thus, I can tell whether something is hot or cold by simply touching it with my feet. I’m a little concerned I maybe having diabetic complications. As exhausting as it maybe, I try my best to control my BG.

Just had a look at your posting history and see that you've only been diagnosed for about a year? Now I could be wrong, but I think that a year in is extremely early to be getting diabetic complications such as neuropathy, so my recommendation would be that you see your GP and see what is going on.

I am 51 years T1 with absolutely atrocious control for at least ten of the first fifteen years, still no serious diabetic complications, (now touching every piece of available wood I can find, including my head :).)

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello everyone

Does anyone know how long I have left before I develop neuropathy and PAD? Just don’t want this to get any worse.

My feet feel numb even as I’m typing now.
Hi,
For type 1s (insufficient insulin and too high bgs) you would not expected to have this complication a year in. Type 2s have too much insulin as well as high bgs over a longer period so they are different.
You could try and see a GP (good luck) or pay for a private assessment of your feet by a chiropodist/podiatrist. They are trained to do diabetes feet checks and will do more than your average diabetes consultant to check and at least refer you back to the GP if they feel it is out of their scope of practice.
Numbness could be lots of things from physical (sciatica) to neurological) or even postural. Again a physio might be another place to get a decent assessment if the problem persists.
I know it is worrying and diabetics get scared silly by tales of foot amputations but if you are fairly recently diagnosed this makes neuropathy a less likely cause.