Really confused about what to eat i shold be eating. Can someone help me

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I can only write from my experience of receiving the pre diabetic diagnosis.
I already have high blood pressure and when I had my yearly blood test 12 months ago I was told I had high cholestral and prediabetis, I was shocked to say the least.
I am an active person go to the gym and am in a walking group weighing 10 and a half stone at that time and normal weight for my height.
I went to have a chat with the diabetic nurse and asked for an appointment with a nutritionist at the hospital and was given advice, and I did lots of research. I found there is not a diabetic diet that suits all.
I was given a list of all the foods and drink I could eat and what foods to avoid, I bought a meter to check my blood sugar level and started checking what I could eat.
The restrictive diet lost me 1 and half stone in weight which I am not happy about and doc said to try and get back to 9 and a half stone but it's difficult.
My diet is
I avoid potatoes
white flour
white rice
parsnips
No cakes, ( well I allow myself one on special occasions)
I have red meat rarely
butter rarely
check labels
I cook my own soups and freeze
don't eat tinned food or take a ways
don't eat processed foods

Be careful with too much fruit this will increase your BS
as will some vegetables
Best to check after you have eaten, do a prick test.

I eat soya and linsead bread
steam all veg or roast in the oven with herbs
fish baked grilled or steamed
chicken roasted grilled or quick tried
eat brown rice cook a pan full and freeze in portions
Be careful with oils check the ones that are better for you

Get a list of Low to medium low G I foods

My BS level is now normal and my cholesterol is 4.3, doc says he would never have thought a patient could do this with diet alone but thing is if I can avoid the complication of diabetes I am going to do what I can.

It's difficult eating out. and going on holiday

Would you consider becoming a piscatarian for your health,something to think about..

Best of luck

Sounds similar to mine, with similar results.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi CarlaBoo

I am a vegetarian who has cut carbs to help maintain good blood glucose levels. In a way, I think it is easier as a vegetarian as there are already whole supermarket aisles that I never visit!

My advice would be to cook from scratch so that you know what you are eating - no hidden sugars in homemade. Do you like cooking? I mostly eat

non-starchy veg
berries
avocados
eggs
cheese
cream
butter
yoghurt
nuts
seeds
quorn (non fancy types)
pulses in moderation

So there is plenty to eat. What do you like?

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people