Really confused, test say I am no longer Type1.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Tulip01 This might be a really daft question, but I've never done an OGTT so if I don't ask I'll never know...

Did you have insulin in your system when doing the test? When was your last long acting shot and your last fast acting shot and carbs prior to commencing the test? Presumably you don't bolus for the sugar drink they give you as part of the test?!!

I thought OGTT wasn't really recommended for someone who had already been diagnosed type 1, because it requires a long period of fast and no insulin before hand to be accurate?

markastin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Some newly diagnosed type 1s can not need insulin for a little while due to the honeymoon period, I myself only really used the basal insulin and if I did bolus it was a very small amount. This is not the case now though!

Reactions: 2 people

Jodieanne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope you got in to see someone I was recently diagnosed type 1 the end of June and last week I really have to take much at all sometimes not at all ... However my diabetic nurse did warn me of the honeymoon period and the last 2 days I've gone back to having to take my normal amount... Keep an eye on it if your running high over the next few days I'd definitely get retested xx

frenchlady

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If you are diagnosed as type 1 - that means that your pancreas has stopped working, kaput, finished, ended. How can it then re-start? Also, how can your grandad who was type 1, then not need insulin? Did he starve himself? Once your pancreas packs up, unless you have some form of transplant, it cannot be re-started. When you tested yourself, did you do a test with the testing solution, on your meter? Did you make sure that your hands were clean? Did you make sure that your test strips were within date? Did you take your blood, before or after a meal? How many times did you test? Did you test at the same time every day? You should take your blood, every day for at least two weeks at different times, both before and after a meal, and record it in a diary. You can then take this diary to your GP, this would give him more to work on.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you managed to speak to your surgery yet, @Tulip01 ?
Have they offered an explanation for the difference in the results?

Tulip01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you managed to speak to your surgery yet, @Tulip01 ?
Have they offered an explanation for the difference in the results?
I actually went rally high again (meter reading HI) and had to go into hospital luckily i wasnt in dka this time but they hav said i again definitly hav type 1 no idea why the ogtt came back as fine been a strane week tbh xx

Tulip01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are diagnosed as type 1 - that means that your pancreas has stopped working, kaput, finished, ended. How can it then re-start? Also, how can your grandad who was type 1, then not need insulin? Did he starve himself? Once your pancreas packs up, unless you have some form of transplant, it cannot be re-started. When you tested yourself, did you do a test with the testing solution, on your meter? Did you make sure that your hands were clean? Did you make sure that your test strips were within date? Did you take your blood, before or after a meal? How many times did you test? Did you test at the same time every day? You should take your blood, every day for at least two weeks at different times, both before and after a meal, and record it in a diary. You can then take this diary to your GP, this would give him more to work on.
Hi my grandad is a bit strange but he was diagnosed in the 1930s so literally justo when insulin started being used so he may not hav type 1 and hav a genetic form of diabetes instead. I do all the tests correctly but still hav no explanation as to why the ogtt came out as normal bit confusing really xx

Tulip01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope you got in to see someone I was recently diagnosed type 1 the end of June and last week I really have to take much at all sometimes not at all ... However my diabetic nurse did warn me of the honeymoon period and the last 2 days I've gone back to having to take my normal amount... Keep an eye on it if your running high over the next few days I'd definitely get retested xx
Oh i wasnt warned of the honey moon period that would expain why i wasnt needing to take it as much xx my doctors are rubbish so is my team tbh lol xx i went to hospital the other day and i was rediagnosed so no idea why my ogtt was normal al a bit confused lol xx

Tulip01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Some newly diagnosed type 1s can not need insulin for a little while due to the honeymoon period, I myself only really used the basal insulin and if I did bolus it was a very small amount. This is not the case now though!
Nobody told me about the honey moon period i go to a really small clinic and they arent very good tbh. Im kinda relieved to be 'rediagnosed' with type 1

Tulip01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Keep us all informed since we care about you and are scared for you both.

If I were you, but I'm not, I would bring my meter to my appointment and have carbs an hour before entering the office and test in front of the clueless.
Yeh i kinda did that i had a mcdonalds had no insulin(as i wasnt given any....) then tested was HI and went to A&E and was 'rediagnosed' confusing week xx thanks xxx

Tulip01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Tulip01 This might be a really daft question, but I've never done an OGTT so if I don't ask I'll never know...

Did you have insulin in your system when doing the test? When was your last long acting shot and your last fast acting shot and carbs prior to commencing the test? Presumably you don't bolus for the sugar drink they give you as part of the test?!!

I thought OGTT wasn't really recommended for someone who had already been diagnosed type 1, because it requires a long period of fast and no insulin before hand to be accurate?
They did the ogtt because they thought i has an insulin resistants instead of type 1 xx i had my long acting before bed then no insulin after the drink so i felt horrible... Im making a complaint about it as ive not been given a reason as to what i think are false results xx its a huge mess but feel good to be back on insulin xx

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I actually went rally high again (meter reading HI) and had to go into hospital luckily i wasnt in dka this time but they hav said i again definitly hav type 1 no idea why the ogtt came back as fine been a strane week tbh xx

The hospital will hopefully write to your GP telling them that - that you are Type 1.

I hope you get the further tests done soon - the genetic ones you mentioned. Perhaps you could chase those up as you're having such problems? It must be confusing and stressful for you.

Tulip01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The hospital will hopefully write to your GP telling them that - that you are Type 1.

I hope you get the further tests done soon - the genetic ones you mentioned. Perhaps you could chase those up as you're having such problems? It must be confusing and stressful for you.
Its really stressful tbh i dont really know whats going on im having the genétic one done on the 9th along with a load of others (Fun) so fingers crossed this all gets sorted and i find exactly what the problem is xxx thanks for the advice xx

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They did the ogtt because they thought i has an insulin resistants instead of type 1 xx i had my long acting before bed then no insulin after the drink so i felt horrible... Im making a complaint about it as ive not been given a reason as to what i think are false results xx its a huge mess but feel good to be back on insulin xx

I don't think doing an OGTT would really work to determine insulin resistance in someone diagnosed with type 1 - because if you don't bolus for the sugary drink (which you didn't and you're not supposed to) all your reaction during the OGTT will tell you is your reaction to sugar, rather than insulin.

Was the OGTT done at your GP surgery rather than at a diabetic clinic? I don't think an OGTT is usually recommended for type 1s so I wouldn't put much store in the results to be honest.

If there is a query over what type of diabetes you have you should be seeing an endocrinologist at the hospital.

There are a few tests they can do to look into things:

1. Cpeptide test - this will tell you if you are making any of your own insulin. If you are making your own insulin, that doesn't mean you aren't type 1 as a honeymooning type 1 will have residual insulin production.

2. Antibody tests - this is a test to see if you have GAD antibodies (and some others) which are associated with autoimmune type 1 diabetes. If it comes back GAD positive, you will definitely be type 1. But if it comes back negative it doesn't mean you aren't type 1, about 25% of type 1s are GAD negative

3. Genetic testing - on the NHS they usually won't run the genetic testing for MODY until you have a negative GAD test (because if you are GAD positive there is no point doing the expensive genetic testing because they will know that you are definitely type 1) so what I think they do is take the blood and samples all at once, send it all off to be tested and run the GAD test first, only if it comes back negative will they proceed to run the genetic tests on the samples.

Hope you get to speak to someone helpful when you have your tests done on Tuesday.