Really High Cholosterol - 13 - Please Help

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't do the lchf diet but have read a couple of reports linking it to raised cholesterol in T1s but again there's the chance of that 'familial one, hope you get on top of it :)

Reactions: JoeT1

connie104

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All,

Just an update on this. My last cholesterol check, which was a couple of weeks ago, came in at 8.5 as far as I remember. HDL and Trigs in range, just the LDL is way out of whack. Do we think this could still be pointing towards the Low Carb diet?

I have an appointment at a bigger hospital next Wednesday in the Lipid Clinic. I am not sure what's going to be looked at here, anyone any experience of this? It worries me slightly as to what might come out of this..

I guess i'm slightly worried, would my normal blood tests show up something that could be wrong aside from the cholesterol. Kidneys, Liver etc?

Have I got a basis to say no to statins here.

I have been under the Lipid Clinic for some time now for high LDL cholesterol. I have tried 3 different Statins which caused me terrible side effects and then tried ezetimibe also with bad side effects . As I could not tolerate these drugs my consultant applied for funding for me to be prescribed Praluent the new cholesterol drug which you inject every 2 weeks. I have had one blood test since and my cholesterol has come down from a total of 7 , LDL was 5 it’s now 2.3 and total cholesterol 4.2 so it does work . Theses results were after 5 injections (10 weeks)
To qualify for this treatment you must have tried all other options and be at risk of having heart attack or stroke ( I’ve already had 2 strokes) or you have inherited high cholesterol.

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like you could well be a lean mass hyper responder that Dave Feldman is doing quite a lot of work with at the moment.
There's a facebook group LMHR that could well be worth joining up to and maybe message him about your figures. As you are young and I'm guessing pretty fit then sounds like you could be joining the group that produces a high LDL count when eating keto.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/LeanMassHyperResponder/about/
You might well get a lot more info from these guys as they are in the same situation as you I think.

Thanks all for the replies :)

I'm not on Facebook (I deleted my account months ago now, too time consuming). So I can not see that group, but thank you for the link anyway.

I don't like the idea of being just prescribed statins straight away as if it is continuing to come down, then surely that's going in the right direction.

Can somebody be put on statins, and then taken off of them once things go back to normal?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Can somebody be put on statins, and then taken off of them once things go back to normal?

Doctors can only advise and offer medication. They cannot make you take it. It is your choice.

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks all for the replies :)

I'm not on Facebook (I deleted my account months ago now, too time consuming). So I can not see that group, but thank you for the link anyway.

I don't like the idea of being just prescribed statins straight away as if it is continuing to come down, then surely that's going in the right direction.

Your health team (if you have one, some of us don't!) should discuss things with you and once your lipids are OK you should be taken off statins, if not you could request to be.

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,

Thank you for your replies and support, very much appreciated.

So, on my appointment yesterday, the Doctor in question has prescribed me 10mg of rosuvastatin (Crestor) daily for 3 months to see how it will treat my high cholesterol (LDL, really is the only high part). He mentioned that from what I have given him, it would suggest Famillial Hypercholesterolemia, and if this is the case (another blood sample taken yesterday), then this is the treatment he would be going with anyway and to start right away.

If the test comes back negative, it could be a polygenic disorder (i'm just really lucky...), but the treatment would remain the same.

I outlined my fears in terms of muscle aches and pains, possible weight gain, effect on my diabetes control etc. He was a little more to the book, but he somewhat managed to calm my fears with this regard. He said that ahces and pains usually would tend to come up with older people, and if I experienced any then we would review and stop that particular statin....it's a see how you go really type of thing. Weight gain, he has seen no evidence to support weight gain through using the statin. Blood control, it's again just something to look out for.

He didn't tell me to stop eating low carb.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

Thank you for your replies and support, very much appreciated.

So, on my appointment yesterday, the Doctor in question has prescribed me 10mg of rosuvastatin (Crestor) daily for 3 months to see how it will treat my high cholesterol (LDL, really is the only high part). He mentioned that from what I have given him, it would suggest Famillial Hypercholesterolemia, and if this is the case (another blood sample taken yesterday), then this is the treatment he would be going with anyway and to start right away.

If the test comes back negative, it could be a polygenic disorder (i'm just really lucky...), but the treatment would remain the same.

I outlined my fears in terms of muscle aches and pains, possible weight gain, effect on my diabetes control etc. He was a little more to the book, but he somewhat managed to calm my fears with this regard. He said that ahces and pains usually would tend to come up with older people, and if I experienced any then we would review and stop that particular statin....it's a see how you go really type of thing. Weight gain, he has seen no evidence to support weight gain through using the statin. Blood control, it's again just something to look out for.

He didn't tell me to stop eating low carb.

I hope it works for you, with no side effects. Good luck. :)