1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Really High Cholosterol - 13 - Please Help

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by JoeT1, Apr 26, 2018.

1. kev-w

kev-w Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I don't do the lchf diet but have read a couple of reports linking it to raised cholesterol in T1s but again there's the chance of that 'familial one, hope you get on top of it :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. connie104

connie104 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have been under the Lipid Clinic for some time now for high LDL cholesterol. I have tried 3 different Statins which caused me terrible side effects and then tried ezetimibe also with bad side effects . As I could not tolerate these drugs my consultant applied for funding for me to be prescribed Praluent the new cholesterol drug which you inject every 2 weeks. I have had one blood test since and my cholesterol has come down from a total of 7 , LDL was 5 it’s now 2.3 and total cholesterol 4.2 so it does work . Theses results were after 5 injections (10 weeks)
    To qualify for this treatment you must have tried all other options and be at risk of having heart attack or stroke ( I’ve already had 2 strokes) or you have inherited high cholesterol.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JoeT1

JoeT1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thanks all for the replies :)

I'm not on Facebook (I deleted my account months ago now, too time consuming). So I can not see that group, but thank you for the link anyway.

I don't like the idea of being just prescribed statins straight away as if it is continuing to come down, then surely that's going in the right direction.

Can somebody be put on statins, and then taken off of them once things go back to normal?

4. sally and james

sally and james Family member · Well-Known Member

You can take yourself off statins, many people do.
    Sally

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

Doctors can only advise and offer medication. They cannot make you take it. It is your choice.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Arab Horse

Arab Horse Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Your health team (if you have one, some of us don't!) should discuss things with you and once your lipids are OK you should be taken off statins, if not you could request to be.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

@JoeT1
    Dunno if you have seen this.. I haven't watched it yet but it may help...

• Like Like x 1
  8. JoeT1

JoeT1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi All,

Thank you for your replies and support, very much appreciated.

So, on my appointment yesterday, the Doctor in question has prescribed me 10mg of rosuvastatin (Crestor) daily for 3 months to see how it will treat my high cholesterol (LDL, really is the only high part). He mentioned that from what I have given him, it would suggest Famillial Hypercholesterolemia, and if this is the case (another blood sample taken yesterday), then this is the treatment he would be going with anyway and to start right away.

If the test comes back negative, it could be a polygenic disorder (i'm just really lucky...), but the treatment would remain the same.

I outlined my fears in terms of muscle aches and pains, possible weight gain, effect on my diabetes control etc. He was a little more to the book, but he somewhat managed to calm my fears with this regard. He said that ahces and pains usually would tend to come up with older people, and if I experienced any then we would review and stop that particular statin....it's a see how you go really type of thing. Weight gain, he has seen no evidence to support weight gain through using the statin. Blood control, it's again just something to look out for.

He didn't tell me to stop eating low carb.

9. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

I hope it works for you, with no side effects. Good luck. :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ponchu

Ponchu · Well-Known Member

Crestor scares me.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Statins scare me..

• Informative Informative x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook