Really scared

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Side effects from medication
I guess there really isn't any help.
We have a disease. That's all there is to it. You get it or you don't.
I'm asking too much to want to eat better for it too.

Tjh

I guess there really isn't any help.
We have a disease. That's all there is to it. You get it or you don't.
I'm asking too much to want to eat better for it too.
Take back control.
Keto/Low Carb is the way to go. Its not a "diet" it's a lifestyle change. It takes work to start with, just like any new learning. There's tonnes of guidance/support if you look for it.

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Take back control.
Keto/Low Carb is the way to go. Its not a "diet" it's a lifestyle change. It takes work to start with, just like any new learning. There's tonnes of guidance/support if you look for it.
The foods I have at this time that might be keto are --
Cottage cheese, peanut butter,
Mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese, canned chicken and turkey, eggs, plant milk, protein powder. The only veges. ive been able to afford are not keto ones.
But most of these foods aren't on my safe list. (Bad bad runs).
I had to stop beef and pork too.

• Hug
Reactions: Hopeful34 and filly

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Take back control.
It also needs a little bit more than the absolute minimum of money to survive, and even more so if you have to deal with food intolerances, no teeth, and pain in your mouth. Which is the situation @cdpm is dealing with, sadly.
It's also worth noting that she's on insulin, so a sudden change to a keto type diet even if it was possible could lead to dangerous hypos.

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the context, @Antje77. Very helpful.

@cdpm - For exercise, have you tried some gentle walks? Like you, I once enjoyed cycling, however years of being significantly overweight mean my body still isn't up to it, plus if I fell off I think I'd be more susceptible to injury which would only set me back. Walking is how I've built my fitness, starting gently and with short walks in my local area, building up to far longer walks over time. Getting outdoors can also help with mental health, mobility issues and your overall wellbeing. Best of all, it's completely free!

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Thanks for the context, @Antje77. Very helpful.

@cdpm - For exercise, have you tried some gentle walks? Like you, I once enjoyed cycling, however years of being significantly overweight mean my body still isn't up to it, plus if I fell off I think I'd be more susceptible to injury which would only set me back. Walking is how I've built my fitness, starting gently and with short walks in my local area, building up to far longer walks over time. Getting outdoors can also help with mental health, mobility issues and your overall wellbeing. Best of all, it's completely free!
I used to walk 4 plus hours a day.
Now I don't live in a safe area and it's likely not safe even bringing a friend.

• Agree
Reactions: filly

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
So I'm still only eating once a day. But since I hate always seeing out of range numbers I don't test so I have no idea if it helps my blood sugar. The reason I get away with not testing on insulin is because I'm so insulin resistant it barely makes any difference using it. It's like injecting water.

• Hug
Reactions: Hopeful34 and JAT1

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Plus I have to eat at night at least not til 5pm. Due to never knowing what foods going to be tolerated by my body. And no eating out for special meals I may get invited to or anyone's house or potlucks. My body hates me and fights me in every way. Not even weight loss helped. Of 50+ pounds.

• Hug
Reactions: Hopeful34

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Maybe just maybe
It might be helping
My eating at 5 every day
I decided to take a few
tests and saw a 6.3 and
a 4.4 and a 4.6
They were all on a different day too

TheSecretCarbAddict

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Those are some really good results there, @cdpm . I do find that eating once a day or sometimes even less often on occasion works great to reset my blood glucose levels.

It is a shame that you have such a struggle with what you can eat or what's available to you when you do eat.

Last edited:

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I find having Diabetes very scary at times, in the night it dropped m y sensor alarm woke me up stuffed jelly babies into my mouth and went back to sleep as was so tired no idea why it dropped it just does as it likes that be the scary part grrrr

Reactions: cdpm