kimrooney89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars
Evening all.

My 2.5 year old daughter woke up for the loo, I thought it smelt pungent so dipped it with a ketostick.

It showed straight away as +++ of ketones....is there any other reason for this other than diabetes?

I'm in a total panic, I'm T1 have been for 10 years but neither of my children had any signs/symptoms until now.

I will recheck her urine again next time she goes, it's unlikely it'll be tonight as she usually sleeps right through

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When did she last eat? Could it be what are referred to,as starvation ketones? if her urine is very concentrated (you said it was pungent) then that could possibly have an effect too.

Reactions: kimrooney89

kimrooney89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars
She had mince and potatoes for dinner around 5.30 then had some veggies and waffles off her daddy's plate an hour or so later, followed by a muller yoghurt and rice crispies just after 7ish...
The smell just reminded me of when I've had ketones, at diagnosis and when I've been unwell, that's what made me dip it

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening all.

My 2.5 year old daughter woke up for the loo, I thought it smelt pungent so dipped it with a ketostick.

It showed straight away as +++ of ketones....is there any other reason for this other than diabetes?

I'm in a total panic, I'm T1 have been for 10 years but neither of my children had any signs/symptoms until now.

I will recheck her urine again next time she goes, it's unlikely it'll be tonight as she usually sleeps right through

Have you tested her blood sugar? She won't like it, but I probably would be testing her blood sugar pretty instantly. because if it is diabetes related you need to know so you can get her to hospital. Hopefully a test will show normal blood sugar and you can breathe a sigh of relief.

kimrooney89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars
Have you tested her blood sugar? She won't like it, but I probably would be testing her blood sugar pretty instantly. because if it is diabetes related you need to know so you can get her to hospital. Hopefully a test will show normal blood sugar and you can breathe a sigh of relief.
I haven't, I'm trying to get myself together (I know that's ridiculous as I'm her parent and should be focused on her and not my own emotions). I'll get my BG meter and test it now

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I haven't, I'm trying to get myself together (I know that's ridiculous as I'm her parent and should be focused on her and not my own emotions). I'll get my BG meter and test it now

It'll be quick so don't worry about doing it. It's important and you can explain simply why.

Get a distraction ready because she probably won't be keen. I've tested my children and it's the surprise that gets them. On a low setting the finger prick shouldn't hurt : )

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Breath. She's ok now because you are looking after her. And you know what ever the answer with blood sugars she will be fine, because you know you're fine. Fingers crossed she sleeps through the test and it shows a normal number.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Nothing's impossible but I would think it unlikely that they were starvation ketones if she ate that recently. You're wise to check her blood sugar. You're doing the right thing.

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Butternut Squash, Cabbage and confrontation.
Evening all.

Hi,

She could simply have a urine infection, so don't panic. Has she been drinking enough? Also did she have any problems or winged when she passed urine? Was the smell slightly fishy? If so it might be an infection.

If you have any concerns with a child it is always best to get it sorted and checked out. Try getting a clean sample tomorrow dip it again if still possitive and take her and it to idoc or A&E. If your concern lessons then I would take her to Gp on monday with a sample just to get checked out and put your own mind at rest.

Maggie

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd check with her doctor on Monday, as much for your own peace of mind as anything else. They'll be able to tell you possible reasons for ketones.

kimrooney89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars
Hi,

She could simply have a urine infection, so don't panic. Has she been drinking enough? Also did she have any problems or winged when she passed urine? Was the smell slightly fishy? If so it might be an infection.

If you have any concerns with a child it is always best to get it sorted and checked out. Try getting a clean sample tomorrow dip it again if still possitive and take her and it to idoc or A&E. If your concern lessons then I would take her to Gp on monday with a sample just to get checked out and put your own mind at rest.

Maggie
Hi Maggie,

Yes she's been drinking often and enough. Her urine was clear and not too concentrated. The smell reminded me of when I've had ketones which set alarm bells off and caused me to check it with a ketostick.

Thank you for your advice, I will check her urine again tomorrow. She didn't seem in pain at all while passing the urine but I will keep a close eye on her and ring nhs24 for advice tomorrow if the ketones are still present

kimrooney89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars
I'd check with her doctor on Monday, as much for your own peace of mind as anything else. They'll be able to tell you possible reasons for ketones.
Thanks again for your advice. I'll check her urine again tomorrow and ring nhs24 for advice if the ketones are still present

Reactions: azure

kimrooney89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars
Breath. She's ok now because you are looking after her. And you know what ever the answer with blood sugars she will be fine, because you know you're fine. Fingers crossed she sleeps through the test and it shows a normal number.
Thank you so much for these words, they really helped to clear my head

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My freestyle optium neo showed a reading of 6.1 and the contour next one showed 6.0...she slept through the finger pricking too

That's good news. I'd get her checked by the GP on Monday, cos I'm not sure why there would be ketones - it could be a false positive or a UTI maybe.

kimrooney89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars
That's good news. I'd get her checked by the GP on Monday, cos I'm not sure why there would be ketones - it could be a false positive or a UTI maybe.
I definitely will. I'll check her urine again tomorrow and if the ketones are still present I'll ring nhs24 for advice - just in case there's something underlying like a UTI