Reasonable numbers but feeling ****.

toddy35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Guys

Sorry to post again but I'm having a bad day. My BS this morning was 4.4 which is normal so I should be happy.
But this morning I was seriously lacking in energy again and having to rest having climbed the stairs. Honestly I'm 53 not 103. I haven't done any major physical activity beyond a daily walk and today my arms hurt just reaching into kitchen cupboards.
On taking my BS just before lunch it had shot up to 5.9, I know that's still a safe number but it's never shot up like that and I hadn't eaten anything?

I had dietdoctor's coconut pancakes for lunch along with a few raspberries and blueberries and a teaspoon of plain greek yoghurt. I don't recommend the pancakes they are basically salty eggs
Anyway 2hrs later my blood sugar is 5.6. I feel a little better but still a little shaky.
Here's my diet log for today, clearly I haven't had the chicken curry for dinner or the cauliflower yet.
upload_2020-6-20_15-0-5.png

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry you’re not feeling well @toddy35

Could it be that you’re coming down with something? That might explain the sudden jump in blood sugars as well as the aches and pains.

You also aren’t eating very much at all - would suggest upping your fat intake to provide energy in the absence of carbs. Aside from that are you getting enough electrolytes?

Edited to correct typo

Last edited:

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Guys

Sorry to post again but I'm having a bad day. My BS this morning was 4.4 which is normal so I should be happy.
But this morning I was seriously lacking in energy again and having to rest having climbed the stairs. Honestly I'm 53 not 103. I haven't done any major physical activity beyond a daily walk and today my arms hurt just reaching into kitchen cupboards.
On taking my BS just before lunch it had shot up to 5.9, I know that's still a safe number but it's never shot up like that and I hadn't eaten anything?

I had dietdoctor's coconut pancakes for lunch along with a few raspberries and blueberries and a teaspoon of plain greek yoghurt. I don't recommend the pancakes they are basically salty eggs
Anyway 2hrs later my blood sugar is 5.6. I feel a little better but still a little shaky.
Here's my diet log for today, clearly I haven't had the chicken curry for dinner or the cauliflower yet.
View attachment 42194
Up the fats to start with. The tired arms and the stairs being a problem (let me guess, your thighs hurt/fatigued especially?) could indicate vitamin d deficiency. With people shielding and staying home a lot, they're not getting a whole lot of sun, and well... I know I crash and burn if I don't try and keep my D up to par. It can get to the point where I'm in bed wishing I could go for a lie-down, realising I already am and it's not helping. If you want to avoid going in for a blood draw during these times, it's safe to just get yourself some D supplements and see whether it makes a difference. Holland & Barrett and the like should have them.

Good luck!
Jo

toddy35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Up the fats to start with. The tired arms and the stairs being a problem (let me guess, your thighs hurt/fatigued especially?) could indicate vitamin d deficiency. With people shielding and staying home a lot, they're not getting a whole lot of sun, and well... I know I crash and burn if I don't try and keep my D up to par. It can get to the point where I'm in bed wishing I could go for a lie-down, realising I already am and it's not helping. If you want to avoid going in for a blood draw during these times, it's safe to just get yourself some D supplements and see whether it makes a difference. Holland & Barrett and the like should have them.

Good luck!
Jo
Thanks Jo, that could be the case. I'll make sure I take my vitamins at lunchtime today.

toddy35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry you’re not feeling well @toddy35

Could it be that you’re coming down with something? That might explain the sudden jump in blood sugars as well as the aches and pains.

You also aren’t eating very much at all - would suggest upping your fat intake to provide energy in the absence of carbs. Aside from that are you getting enough electrolytes?

Edited to correct typo
Thanks I don't think I am coming down with something but it'c certainly possible I was a little dehydrated yesterday plus as Jo says the lack of Vitamin D. It's been extremely foggy that last four days so unlikely I'm getting much even if I have been outside so will make sure I take the vitamins at lunchtime. Thanks for responding

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks I don't think I am coming down with something but it'c certainly possible I was a little dehydrated yesterday plus as Jo says the lack of Vitamin D. It's been extremely foggy that last four days so unlikely I'm getting much even if I have been outside so will make sure I take the vitamins at lunchtime. Thanks for responding

If you do suspect a vitamin d deficiency, I’d urge you to a) get it checked via a blood test and b) to e sure you’re taking a decent dose. Standard multivitamins won’t include enough of it and you also need to make sure you’re taking vitamin d3 with vitamin k2 to get maximum benefit for bone health.

My own regime is to take 4,000 iu of d3 a day (doubled during Covid due to its protective properties) with a k2 supplement taken at the same time. That’s in addition to the quite extended time I spend in the sun due to an obsession with long distance walking.

TypeZero.

I’m sorry to hear you have been feeling unwell but not everything is down to diabetes. If your sugars are fine then there’s no reason to suspect your diabetes is the cause of your problems. You could be feeling bad due to a number of problems.

Some of words you use are not fitting in my opinion. An increase from 4.4 mmol/L to 5.9 mmol/L is not exactly shooting up in my opinion.

Also 53 is middle age and it’s okay to start to have a few aches and pains here and there. Consult your doctor if the problem persists and/or worsens

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m sorry to hear you have been feeling unwell but not everything is down to diabetes. If your sugars are fine then there’s no reason to suspect your diabetes is the cause of your problems. You could be feeling bad due to a number of problems.

Some of words you use are not fitting in my opinion. An increase from 4.4 mmol/L to 5.9 mmol/L is not exactly shooting up in my opinion.

Also 53 is middle age and it’s okay to start to have a few aches and pains here and there. Consult your doctor if the problem persists and/or worsens

I was with you all the way until you mentioned 53 being middle aged. Getting aches & pains does not necessarily come with being middle aged and if you have them I don't think it is 'ok', it's a sign of something wrong and not something to simply write off as down to 'age'. I'm in my 50s, no aches or pains whatsoever and I run 5 miles most days easily.

Reactions: Juicyj

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

My aches and pains started when I was at the back end of my 20's. Well, the joints started up then, the others have been with me most of my life. No need to settle for pain if one doesn't need to. Age means nothing, no need to roll over and accept pain as a given. ;)

TypeZero.

I was with you all the way until you mentioned 53 being middle aged. Getting aches & pains does not necessarily come with being middle aged and if you have them I don't think it is 'ok', it's a sign of something wrong and not something to simply write off as down to 'age'. I'm in my 50s, no aches or pains whatsoever and I run 5 miles most days easily.

Well that’s the thing. You run 5 miles a day while most people do not and decades of a sedentary lifestyle really does catch up on you.

TypeZero.

My aches and pains started when I was at the back end of my 20's. Well, the joints started up then, the others have been with me most of my life. No need to settle for pain if one doesn't need to. Age means nothing, no need to roll over and accept pain as a given. ;)

I agree but most people become sedentary when they are older, have a family and work 9 to 5 everyday. Just not enough time to exercise so you end up with the usual aches and pains when you do something your body is not used to doing

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree but most people become sedentary when they are older, have a family and work 9 to 5 everyday. Just not enough time to exercise so you end up with the usual aches and pains when you do something your body is not used to doing

Hi there, the thing is though it is not specifically applicable to 'middle aged' people but ALL individuals. I know this sounds a little petty because it can be harder to maintain fitness as you get older (which I think is what you mean) but I just don't like it when sweeping statements are made about groups of people who have nothing in common with each other apart from age. x

TypeZero.

Hi there, the thing is though it is not specifically applicable to 'middle aged' people but ALL individuals. I know this sounds a little petty because it can be harder to maintain fitness as you get older (which I think is what you mean) but I just don't like it when sweeping statements are made about groups of people who have nothing in common with each other apart from age. x

However it is a well known fact that as you age your fitness naturally decreases. I guess it may be a little offensive to people who are of older age but they were once young too and I’m sure many older people don’t have the energy and fitness as they did when they were 20 or 25.

If people could be fit and energetic forever then most countries wouldn’t have a life expectancy of 70-80 years. There are a series of illnesses associated with old age including Type 2 diabetes. It is practically impossible for someone <25 years old to be a Type 2, again stuff like heart disease are almost non existent in young people in the first 3 decades of their life so age does make you prone to diseases.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
However it is a well known fact that as you age your fitness naturally decreases. I guess it may be a little offensive to people who are of older age but they were once young too and I’m sure many older people don’t have the energy and fitness as they did when they were 20 or 25.

If people could be fit and energetic forever then most countries wouldn’t have a life expectancy of 70-80 years. There are a series of illnesses associated with old age including Type 2 diabetes. It is practically impossible for someone <25 years old to be a Type 2, again stuff like heart disease are almost non existent in young people in the first 3 decades of their life so age does make you prone to diseases.

Hi,

Do you have any links to reliable stats regarding this?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

On the contrary. This ‘middle aged’ woman is considerably fitter, healthier and more active than 20 years ago. Broad generalisations / sweeping statements not backed up by evidence or personal experience really aren’t helpful at all.

TypeZero.

Look I get it, most of you are quite old so it’s a bit hurtful hearing this but being old significantly increases your risk of many diseases.

https://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/diabetes/53/12/3313/F1.large.jpg

Even survival rates from stomach cancer decrease as you age

https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/sites/default/files/cstream-node/surv_5yr_age_stomach_0.png

People get offended very quickly when a comment about their age arises. Why is it that we never hear of young people <30 years getting heart disease? Why do older people get more wrinkles? You could be running 10 miles a day and eating the healthiest food but the fact is the older you are the worse your health tends to be. And remember that this is a diabetes forum, most of us have T1 or T2, I have T1. High blood sugars have only been damaging my body for the last year or so but many of the older diabetics have been through years of hyperglycaemia and are more likely to have secondary complications

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Look I get it, most of you are quite old so it’s a bit hurtful hearing this but being old significantly increases your risk of many diseases.

https://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/diabetes/53/12/3313/F1.large.jpg

Even survival rates from stomach cancer decrease as you age

https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/sites/default/files/cstream-node/surv_5yr_age_stomach_0.png

People get offended very quickly when a comment about their age arises. Why is it that we never hear of young people <30 years getting heart disease? Why do older people get more wrinkles? You could be running 10 miles a day and eating the healthiest food but the fact is the older you are the worse your health tends to be. And remember that this is a diabetes forum, most of us have T1 or T2, I have T1. High blood sugars have only been damaging my body for the last year or so but many of the older diabetics have been through years of hyperglycaemia and are more likely to have secondary complications
Hi again,

Wow.!
What on earth is this..?
Please state the original sources of something that I could easily conjure up on my PC or iPad, (If I was so inclined...) ;)
With the best wish in the world.. Disappointed from my quarters don't even scrape the sides right now.. :(

If this is what you feel is lined up for your future? Call me "Marty McFly" & look me up in 30 or so years...

TypeZero.

Hi again,

Wow.!
What on earth is this..?
Please state the original sources of something that I could easily conjure up on my PC or iPad, (If I was so inclined...) ;)
With the best wish in the world.. Disappointed from my quarters don't even scrape the sides right now.. :(

If this is what you feel is lined up for your future? Call me "Marty McFly" & look me up in 30 or so years...

These institutions have no reason to provide false information. I’m sorry but there’s a reason why some illnesses such as heart disease and T2 diabetes is virtually non-existant in younger people. I’m sorry you feel so offended but I thought what I stated was a common thing everything accepted

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
These institutions have no reason to provide false information. I’m sorry but there’s a reason why some illnesses such as heart disease and T2 diabetes is virtually non-existant in younger people. I’m sorry you feel so offended but I thought what I stated was a common thing everything accepted

No offence taken.. :) There will always be "facts of life" discovered along the way.

However the graphs you have provided could well be outdated reference to COVID19 mortalities? ;)

Comedy gold. :cool:

However, out of respect for the actual topic & paramount the OP.

It's time to stop at this point any further derailment..

Reactions: toddy35