Received letter, good or bad news?

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
Thankyou hahaha, I e-mailed accu-chek about the slow handset asking if there was going to be an update to speed it up 2 weeks back and not in the near future apparentley, it is slow compared to a modern mobile but not that slow.

irrationalJohn

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Does Minimed only suspend insulin when bs drop if u use the CGM then?
o_O How else would the pump "know" to suspend (or resume) the basal without feedback from the CGM?

The main reason to go with the 640G is the CGM assisted basal control. It's still a good enough pump (I am guessing) without the CGM, but how it can potentially use the CGM is what makes it special ... for now.

CGM is nice if it works for you. Some people get better results with the sensors than others. My feeling is that the only way to know how well a CGM system works for you is to try it. If you ever do decide to use it and are forced to pay for it, try to get a trial period before committing yourself to it.

Hirstygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
o_O How else would the pump "know" to suspend (or resume) the basal without feedback from the CGM?

The main reason to go with the 640G is the CGM assisted basal control. It's still a good enough pump (I am guessing) without the CGM, but how it can potentially use the CGM is what makes it special ... for now.

CGM is nice if it works for you. Some people get better results with the sensors than others. My feeling is that the only way to know how well a CGM system works for you is to try it. If you ever do decide to use it and are forced to pay for it, try to get a trial period before committing yourself to it.

Lol guess I was being a bit blonde there, I honestly hadn't put the two things together but it does make sense now

Hirstygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thankyou hahaha, I e-mailed accu-chek about the slow handset asking if there was going to be an update to speed it up 2 weeks back and not in the near future apparentley, it is slow compared to a modern mobile but not that slow.

Maybe we shouldn't expect a pump handset to function like a smart phone as I'm guessing that is what it's been compared to, most of the posts I have read are from people who have had the combo and upgraded to the insight, maybe as it will be our first pump we would not have any problems

Reactions: 2 people

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
This is my line of thinking Hirstygirl but please make sure when you have the choice to pick a pump that you pick the one that suits your lifesytle and needs

https://www.accu-chek.co.uk/gb/products/insulinpumps/insight.html, make an account here and choose "how to use" this is a basic guide to what you need to know

this is the Animas pump site
https://www.animascorp.co.uk/vibe-insulin-pump

And the minimed site
https://www.medtronic-diabetes.co.uk/minimed-system/minimed-640g-system

these should help you alot I think/hope ;)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Having read a lot of the comments on the Insight, a few things are clear. The proprietary connector it uses minimises your options on sets. Don't under estimate this as you may find that you can't get what you need.

Secondly, the cartridge size is important. The insight uses a 1.6 ml cartridge, which for me would be a change every four days. If you use more than 30u a day you will be changing regularly.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
Having read a lot of the comments on the Insight, a few things are clear. The proprietary connector it uses minimises your options on sets. Don't under estimate this as you may find that you can't get what you need.

Secondly, the cartridge size is important. The insight uses a 1.6 ml cartridge, which for me would be a change every four days. If you use more than 30u a day you will be changing regularly.

yeah BUT you do not need to do a set change

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
You might not but you still need to check the tube and make sure the switch over doesn't introduce air bubbles. From my viewpoint, a smaller reservoir isn't a great idea because it increases the amount of work you have.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
True Tim but that is my opinion which we all have and that is why I posted the 3 sites as all the pumps have benefits for each persons needs. Also Filling the cartrides takes time to get the bubbles out so each pump is different for the individuals needs in life

iHs

True Tim but that is my opinion which we all have and that is why I posted the 3 sites as all the pumps have benefits for each persons needs. Also Filling the cartrides takes time to get the bubbles out so each pump is different for the individuals needs in life

I'm a bit puzzled as to how prefilled novocarts eliminate air bubbles forming once the cart is put in the pump and the battery driven motor warms the pump up with the cart inside? Also, what happens if the pump is put close to the body and body heat makes the pump get warm?

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I'm a bit puzzled as to how prefilled novocarts eliminate air bubbles forming once the cart is put in the pump and the battery driven motor warms the pump up with the cart inside? Also, what happens if the pump is put close to the body and body heat makes the pump get warm?

I have no idea iHs, if or when meet the rep I will ask her and reply

MISTY10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I am yet to see the Medtronic rep (I've been put off the insight so for me it's animas vibe or mini med), I thought the insulin suspend would work if you tested bloods via the contour as it sends the results to the pump (as the only other person in Cornwall advised me). I thought this reading would be enough to suspend or have I got this wrong ?! Thank you
(This is my first post on forums).

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
Hi
I am yet to see the Medtronic rep (I've been put off the insight so for me it's animas vibe or mini med), I thought the insulin suspend would work if you tested bloods via the contour as it sends the results to the pump (as the only other person in Cornwall advised me). I thought this reading would be enough to suspend or have I got this wrong ?! Thank you

Welcome to the forums MISTY10 :)

Hirstygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

That is how I had read it too but others say not, if you do find out otherwise please let me know as it will be next year before I get to choose one for myself. (Am just planning ahead)

Hirstygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Tim2000 just so I can get some idea of how many units I would be using, can I ask, is it more or less my total current mdi units, short and long acting added together?

Many thanks

MISTY10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Seeing the Medtronic rep soon, could have the animas (looks v simple and easy to use but not too much in the way of functionality ......).
I'll feed back !!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Hirstygirl most people going on to a pump find they have a smaller total daily dose than on MDI. For me I use around 75% of the basal I did on MDI and more or less the same total bolus amount.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Tim2000 just so I can get some idea of how many units I would be using, can I ask, is it more or less my total current mdi units, short and long acting added together?

Many thanks
Hi @Hirstygirl - without wishing to pre-empt @tim2000s 's answer you can as a rough estimate take your current MDI TDD and multiply it by 0.7-0.75 --- I was on approx 68 TDD on MDI and am currently on about 46u on pump but tweaks are still going on to find ideal :)