Recent Blood Test

DazG

Hi

I was sent a blood sample pack a few weeks ago by my DN, I think it was like a 3 month check to see how my blood sugar was doing.

I had the blood test and the result was elevated blood sugar so I am now on metformin.

But, a thought has just crossed my mind so I wondered if any of you could advise?

This was a morning blood test, I guess to see how my blood sugars are during the morning? Well, the nurse didnt state that this should be a fasting blood test, so that morning I had a cup of tea before going to the doctors.

My question is, is it likely that this should have been a fasting blood test and they just didnt tell me? Or, is this 3 month check up usually supposed to be a fasting blood test?

Bit of a silly question I know, but I cant find out from the DN till Monday so I thought id ask here, what is worrying me is this, if it should have been a fasting test, and I didnt fast, then the blood sugar reading would have been falsely high, and if so I wouldnt need to take the metformin just yet?

Re-reading my post its even confusing me, so if you can make head or tails of it then id appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Darren.

C

catherinecherub

Hi Darren,
If you are referring to the HBA1c test then there is no need to worry. It used to be fasting only but more and more of us are now taking it without fasting.

It gives an average of the amount of glucose in your red blood cells over the last 90 days so your cup of tea wouldn't have made a difference.

Hope this helps,

Catherine.