mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
This thread couldn't have come at a worse time for me...
Hey Patch, these studies don't mean much to me. I study and educate myself. I test and record and work out what is best for me. Be positive and control your diabetes. It does throw up occasional curve balls but generally, you can maintain good control if you put the initial effort in :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The only study I follow is the study of myself, and post if I can help someone with my knowledge, whatever the circumstances from my experiences. afterall, everyone is different :)

Reactions: 7 people

academicdiabetic

I don't believe the authors of the 'insulin increased mortality' study controlled for diet... that would certainly have been a useful add-on. I don't know if the data are available, but I would have thought also that a group of comparable Type 2s given no medication and controlling diabetes by diet and exercise alone would have made even more interesting reading than the actual comparator of metformin alone.

In terms of adding a caveat about 'misusing insulin etc.' I don't think that would be appropriate, as the evidence from this study stands, the authors are saying that insulin as such was the risk factor, not 'misused' insulin. As above,it would be of particular interest to control for diet and exercise.

On a purely personal. anecdotal note, I have found diet to make an enormous difference, as most of you also suggest. I have been vegetarian for 40 years and have never weighed above 8 stone ('old money', sorry!) On the doctor-suggested regime of 16 units levemir and a bolus novorapid of 1 unit per 10g carbs my blood glucose was a complete nightmare swinging up to 25+ and down to 4 and below on an almost constant basis, landing me in hospital on several occasions. This was despite consistently eating a low carb (less than 40g per day) diet (although this did definately help) and being sensible about monitoring for possible lows/highs. Recently, as posted elsewhere on the forum, I switched to a vegan diet (no other changes) and within less than a month, I was able to reduce the levemir to 12 units (now 10) and drop the novorapid altogether. In this crazily short time, my blood glucose is both more stable and lower than it has ever been since first diagnosed. What's more, despite no change in insulin, as I stay on this diet my morning readings are going steadily down, but not going hypo. Definately thumbs up for diet, but how many people would be willing to try being vegan! ;)

fatbird

mo1905 said "Hey Patch, these studies don't mean much to me"

Brett said "The only study I follow is the study of myself"

Peer reviewed gold standard studies can be a real bummer can't they! Who should we believe?

FB

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, gps,dsns do use stupid calculations to calculate insulin doses, often using body weight and a calculation, leaving the patient on too high dose, not advise them its a starting point and told see how you go and come back in 3 months. Not taking into account their diet,metabolism, daily activity. I now pump 9 ish units basal, give or take every few months. At diagnosis was told 18 units. Then what you do, eat extra to cover if not knowing how to adjust your basal correctly or its exact function. Think this would lead to more complications.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Believe who you want. I'm not trying to be clever or anything ! These scientific studies and papers really don't mean much to me. For every paper that concludes 1 thing, there'll be a paper that says the complete opposite. I know what works for me. I know what to eat and inject. I've spent hours educating myself and ( hopefully ) helping others. That what I care about :)

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Peer reviewed gold standard studies can be a real bummer can't they! Who should we believe?

FB
Here we go again selective quoting, taking fully out of context and meaning. Much like a politicians response.
Can you show me a study of a group of 6ft 3inch males with my metabolism and daily routine, same slim build as myself, using my basal and qa ratios,oh and a good hba1c too. Thanks
I think I will now have to refrain from this convo as I like this forum.

Reactions: 5 people

fatbird

Mo I see from your signature you are a type one on metformin are you a double diabetic?

FB

lacey1

FB
i would believe the people who have educated themselves on how there diabetes affects there body and lifestyle and thank them for sharing there knowledge on here find there views 100% more helpful than documents and statistics for health care professionals as all of us r different and every ones bodys react differently to medication activity and fule (food) i believe in people and life experience if others believe in black and white each to there own as i said thankfully we r all different

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Mo I see from your signature you are a type one on metformin are you a double diabetic?

FB
No, they said to me and a few others on my DAFNE course that they now believe metformin to be of benefit to T1's and can help lower insulin requirements. I was told it makes the insulin you take work better ? Not totally sure of the science but my HbA1C was 42 so can't hurt :)

fatbird

Thanks for the reply Mo. The reason I asked was because I have type one friends who due to a high carb high insulin regime become double diabetics. They became insulin resistant and took on the metabolic problems that are classic type two syndromes.

FB

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Thanks for the reply Mo. The reason I asked was because I have type one friends who due to a high carb high insulin regime become double diabetics. They became insulin resistant and took on the metabolic problems that are classic type two syndromes.

FB
Wow, that must be difficult to deal with !

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Anna said "For me its all about getting the balance of my foods eaten right .!"

Noblehead said "So very true Anna and this can be said of everyone"

Would this balance be the reason 93% of type one diabetics in the UK fail to get to a safe HbA1c?

http://www.hqip.org.uk/assets/NCAPO...cess-and-Treatment-Targets-published-2012.pdf

FB

I was referring to the good members of this forum who are pro-active in their diabetes management, some low-carb others don't but we are all take our diabetes seriously and hold good bg control.

As for the TDD amongst type 1 here on this forum, I think you find that people like myself who eat carbs in moderation are on similar or less insulin than those who very low-carb (below 50g a day) so going too low-carb doesn't necessarily mean less insulin. If you consider today I've injected 16.5 units of QA insulin for 160g of carbs which works out at around 1 unit for every 10g of carbs, some low-carbers inject similar amounts but only eat 30g of carbs.....therefore that's a insulin ratio of 1 unit to roughly 2g of carbs, so how woiuld you account for that Fatbird.....which is better do you think and do you think I would keep my current insulin ratio were I to eat only 30g of carbs?

Reactions: 4 people

fatbird

I believe this situation can be avoided. smidge on around 50 carbs per day and non diabetic HbA1c is an excellent example.

FB

fatbird

Noblehead what you must do is what works for you. But this does not alter the fact- 93% of type one diabetics do not get to a safe HbA1c >6.5 in old money as reported and is not a safe number-don't you agree?
FB

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Noblehead what you must do is what works for you. But this does not alter the fact- 93% of type one diabetics do not get to a safe HbA1c >6.5 in old money as reported is not a safe number-don't you agree?
FB

Yes as ever I will do what works for me, thanks for the advice but you failed to answer my question btw....but hey ho:)

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone who tried to control their diabetes, or advise others, by following the advice of medical research and studies instead of their own experience would be, in my own humble opinion, an utter buffoon. I was on a vlc diet for 3 years until I was rushed to hospital and diagnosed as type 1. Insulin saved my life and continues to do so. Unless you're taking insulin needlessly how can it raise the mortality rate if without it you would be brown bread? Yet another pointless scientific study? Cant understand why someone would try to convince someone who is insulin dependant that the insulin is bad for them. Or am I missing something?

Reactions: 5 people
Status
Not open for further replies.