Recent T2

• Thread starter Deleted member 371625
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 371625

Hi All

I have been reading the forums for a few weeks but just decided to introduce myself.

After an accident just before Xmas, I found myself in hospital overnight and blood tests indicated T2. I had a BG of 18 on admission, 14 the following morning and a HbA1c of 72.

It didn't come as a huge surprise as after retiring from playing rugby I continued with the same diet but cut out the twice a day training so had probably been eating at least 4000 calories per day, much of it carbs and not burning it off at all. Fortunately, I had no other symptoms and eyes, feet etc are fine.

I was given insulin to take (Humilin 6 units pre breakfast and 6 units pre evening meal) and a meter and sent home.
Out of interest, I have read many of the threads suggesting that people are not given meters but was told that opinion is changing and one of the reasons why insulin is now being prescribed as a first option is to enable them to give out a meter too. I was told that I would be moved to metformin after 3 months.

Anyway, I cut carbs pretty drastically and am now eating about 130g per day (not very low but a huge difference for me) which seems plenty - basically smaller portions of spuds, pasta etc. and getting plenty of exercise.

After 6 weeks I had stopped insulin completely after gradually reducing the doses and for the last 4 weeks have had fasting levels of 4.9 average (all readings 4.7 to 5.1) and pre evening meal average of 4.1 (all readings 3.7 to 4.3). My 2 hour post prandial values have all been below 6, about a third of them below 5 though I only check my heaviest carb meal each day.

I do hope that I have it licked as my results appear to suggest, though I do realise that returning to former lifestyle would see values rise again.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi welcome and well done. Hopefully continuing with a sensible diet and exercise will keep the diabetes at bay. There are plenty of good foods that aren't carb-heavy such as eggs and bacon for breakfast so it's not all bad.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @midnightrider and welcome to the forum. It's interesting what you said about why insulin is being prescribed immediately for T2s on diagnosis, though it's probably only for those with high blood sugar levels.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

Sorry I missed this when you posted it a week ago.
Sounds like you have things well under control. Very pleased for you. :)