1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Recently diagnosed, morning blood readings

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by lechiffre1969, Feb 12, 2021.

1. lechiffre1969

lechiffre1969 Type 2 · Active Member

II was diagnosed 1 month ago. Upon returning from the doctor I took a BS reading and got a 26 mmol result (5pm). I've been taking metformin (now on 4 tablets per day). For the last week, my morning fasting levels averaged 7.5mmol. However, the last 2 days they've been a little higher - 9.3 and 8.9. Also, this morning, I tool 3 readings on different fingers (2 on 1 hand and 1 on another) and got 3 different readings (8.9, 9.9 and 9.3). I am concerned that my Sinocare reader could be faulty. I am pricking the finger, get a decent amount of blood and let the blood travel up the strip. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong but would appreciate your thoughts. My nagging concern is that despite getting to around average of 7.5 in the morning that I might be levelling off. Clearly, I want to get down to below 6 ASAP. Any thoughts, help and guidance much appreciated. thanks

2. urbanracer

urbanracer Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

The ISO standard for home glucose measuring equipment permits a tolerance range of +/- 15% so the difference between 8.9 and 9.9 is within tolerance. (8.9 +15% = 10.2).

If you are really concerned, you should be able to contact the manufacturer and obtain a reference liquid with a known glucose value that can be used to determine if the meter is accurate. They usually send this out as a freebie.

Also, your blood is constantly changing as nutrients absorbed near the stomach get pumped around the body. So differences between fingers and differences between left and right hand are quite normal.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Hi. It is very unlikely that your meter is faulty. I think you are aiming a bit too strictly to a 6mmol meter number. Few of us expect to get near that. Anything below 8.5 mmol 2 hours after a meal is good and often it can be a bit higher. Morning fasting readings can vary quite a bit due to to the liver's overnight glucose dump so I would be guided more by 2 hour post meal readings. Can you let us know what your BMI is? That 26 mmol number was high and it's just worth checking that you are T2 and not a T1/LADA in the wings.

• Like Like x 2
  4. lechiffre1969

lechiffre1969 Type 2 · Active Member

Thank you. I was diagnosed as T2. My diet pre-diagnosis was incredibly skewed towards carbs, sugar, processed rubbish. I quite often would not even have meals and would eat biscuits, chocolate bars, and crisps. I feel terribly ashamed writing that. However, since my diagnosis, I've completely cut everything out. I've been keeping a detailed log of everything I eat. The closest I've come to a snack item is a handful of walnuts. I think my initial reading was so high as 2 hours earlier I'd devoured a large number of sweets! The next morning, my BS went down to 22.6, then 20, 17, 14, 12, 11, 10. Within 2 weeks I was down to 8 - 9. The metformin is no doubt helping significantly but my change in diet has been considerable - the healthiest I think I've ever eaten. My BMI is 29 today. I've lost a stone in 4 weeks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook