Recently diagnosed Type 1 at 63

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tim Noakes, who, for reasons I fail to understand, got involved in a minor twitter incident over appropriate hypo treatments, and ended up coming out with this sanctimonious rubbish, which pi***d off a lot of T1s who might otherwise have been prepared to listen. He, as someone who actively plugged carb loading for athletes for decades, and then changed his mind, is now telling T1s they are stupid if they eat more than 50g a day, because he is right and they are wrong. Not persuasive, at all.
I totally agree. I would not want to be saddled with the responsibility of defending Tim Noakes!!!

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds as if you would get on well with Dr Bernstein: http://www.diabetes-book.com/laws-small-numbers/
He is said to be the greatest expert on insulin use. You can get his up to date advice by listening to his monthly Teleseminars. There are always lots of questions on insulin.
Thank you so much for the link. I have read it twice now and will again I am sure. I find the information very useful.

Reactions: Prem51

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much for the link. I have read it twice now and will again I am sure. I find the information very useful.

JAT1 - Several folks on this site follow the principles of Dr Bernstein's theory of small numbers, with varying success. Some love it and some find it quite extreme for the longer term.

One further comment I would make is to ensure you keep a good supply of test strips - especially in these early days when you are not too familiar with how your body necessarily reacts to insulin, per se, how your underlying natural insulin may be performing (many newly diagnosed T1s still have some natural insulin being produced, just not nearly enough of it, and not necessarily consistently. A newly diagnosed T1 can have natural insulin released to spurts and stops. And finally, if you are altering your routine at all, you would be very strongly advised to test lots. I mean, LOTS.

Insulin is a very powerful drug, but in a newly diagnosed person trying to interleave a new insulin regime, maybe a new eating regime and still have their body performing variably (in terms of their natural insulin), it can all become a bit of a lottery.

Please be very, very careful.

Please don't interpret my post as scaremongering. That isn't my objective. My objective is to ensure you understand the level of caution it could be wise to apply in these early days.

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I will heed your advice DCUKMod. About Dr. Bernstein, I first heard of him about a month ago and watched a number of episodes of the Diabetes University, all very informative and encouraging. I don't follow his diet though but have been greatly influenced. I don't eat sugar, grains or potatoes (what I would call starch) and I am mindful of fruit. I consume around 100 to 150 carbs a day, all from veggies and fruit. I've upped protein and fat to make up for the starch (which was by far the majority of what I ate before diabetes). Now I think of starch as cheap food for the masses. I eat tons of cheese (not low fat) to keep my weight from falling.
I do ensure I have plenty of diabetes supplies on hand and meter about 6 to 10 times/day sometimes more and also at night a couple times. My bg was going too low for comfort every night so I cut down on basal and usually have a 15 gram snack around 2:00 am just in case.