Recently diagnosed Type 2 - and a vegan

JayPirate

Hey there *waves* I was diagnosed just over a month ago and am slowly getting to grips with it all.
Being hauled off left, right and centre for eye tests and appointments with dietitians.
I have been keeping a food diary and that seems to help.
I'm vegan so it's not so bad.
On 500mg Metformin twice a day.
I have a follow-up appointment with my surgery's practice nurse this Friday coming - am hoping to get a referral onto the ActivClub at my local sports centre. That gives you 4 weeks' free gym membership and unlimited swims and saunas.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey there *waves* I was diagnosed just over a month ago and am slowly getting to grips with it all.
Being hauled off left, right and centre for eye tests and appointments with dietitians.
I have been keeping a food diary and that seems to help.
I'm vegan so it's not so bad.
On 500mg Metformin twice a day.
I have a follow-up appointment with my surgery's practice nurse this Friday coming - am hoping to get a referral onto the ActivClub at my local sports centre. That gives you 4 weeks' free gym membership and unlimited swims and saunas.

Hello and welcome,

Take a wonder round the forums and see how others are managing to control diabetes, and ask as many questions as you wish.

You say because you are vegan it is not so bad. Sadly, for vegans it is very hard to control diabetes because the normal vegan diet is very high in carbohydrate and fruits, the very foods you have to reduce or eliminate. There is a whole section on the forums for vegetarians and that includes vegans. You may find some things of interest in there. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/vegetarian-diet-forum.71/

Reactions: JayPirate

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Welcome! There’s plenty of us here who don’t eat many or any animal products, and even manage to cut carbs (seems pretty essential as a T2) despite that, it’s quite possible. Tagging @WuTwo and @helensaramay who may be able to help. I’m not vegan, I do sometimes eat fish and eggs, but not dairy or meat. There’s a great group on Facebook called “vegan keto made simple” which had a plethora of useful information about lowering carb intake while eating according to your ethics.

Reactions: Marie 2

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
There are even a few vegan recipes on the forum.
Hi there.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Low carb and vegan can go together happily; indeed, so can keto and vegan.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/low-carb-vegan-food.164938/

Also, check out the keto vegan and low carb books available on Amazon and the many sites there are with low and very low carb foods.

I'm on about 80g a day carb at the moment but that's pretty high for a T2. I do know that it's perfectly feasible to maintain a low carb diet as a vegan though. It just takes a bit of research that's all.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Low carb and vegan can go together happily; indeed, so can keto and vegan.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/low-carb-vegan-food.164938/

Also, check out the keto vegan and low carb books available on Amazon and the many sites there are with low and very low carb foods.

I'm on about 80g a day carb at the moment but that's pretty high for a T2. I do know that it's perfectly feasible to maintain a low carb diet as a vegan though. It just takes a bit of research that's all.
I’ll be chucking a crispy tofu stir fry on that thread later :)

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Sorry about the abrupt exit - sudden shout from the kitchen!

I'm vegan, eating an average of 10 portions of salad & veg each day (with just one of fruit), and the usual seeds etc, tofu, seitan, tempeh etc.

I don't eat rice, pasta, noodles or much potato at the moment. I may well go back to eating more psta one day, but not yet.

Last edited:

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Meant to say, dig around in the Veggie forum for posts by Avocado Sevenfold (tag not working for some reason) - if I recall rightly, she posted some very low carb vegan recipes, but it would have been some time ago so you'll need to hunt in the older threads.