Recently diagnosed Type 2

Hello everyone, been reading this site for a few weeks now and found it reassuring that people are having the same issues as me but having hope in the many success stories in getting this under control.

I was diagnosed on 10 Aug as a type 2 diabetic with a reading of 112 (12.4)ouch, I know. Not been to doctor in 30 years as never been ill before but as I had noticed a few things that didn’t seem right my wife made me go. Anyway apart from the diabetes I had high cholesterol, 7.9, so all in all I wasn’t in great shape. I was also touching what they class as obese although I didn’t consider myself massively over weight.

The first few weeks were terrible as we initially got very little advice other than directed to various websites and recommended different books to read, we were at a total loss as to where to start. My downfall over recent years as been eating snacks between meals. I have always loved crisps and ice cream. All that as had to stop.

So now over 2 months later I am hopefully on the road to getting on top of it although I know there is a long way to go and it’s never going to go away. I recently had a second blood test and my blood sugar had come down to 64 (8) and cholesterol down to 3.7. I have also lost nearly 2 stone with probably another half stone to go. Pleased that I am making progress and I understand that recent blood test would cover a 3 month period so it would include 1 month before I was diagnosed and living my old ways.

I was lucky enough to be given a blood sugar meter by the doctors, I’ve only just realised that not everyone seems to get these and this has helped in that I can see what is happening. My current readings vary between 6 and 7.5 although I do get the odd spike as am still learning what doesn’t do me any good.

Hopefully more progress when I have my next test which will be late November I think. Anyway that is my story so far. Still a lot to learn but getting there.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Hello everyone, been reading this site for a few weeks now and found it reassuring that people are having the same issues as me but having hope in the many success stories in getting this under control.

I was diagnosed on 10 Aug as a type 2 diabetic with a reading of 112 (12.4)ouch, I know. Not been to doctor in 30 years as never been ill before but as I had noticed a few things that didn’t seem right my wife made me go. Anyway apart from the diabetes I had high cholesterol, 7.9, so all in all I wasn’t in great shape. I was also touching what they class as obese although I didn’t consider myself massively over weight.

The first few weeks were terrible as we initially got very little advice other than directed to various websites and recommended different books to read, we were at a total loss as to where to start. My downfall over recent years as been eating snacks between meals. I have always loved crisps and ice cream. All that as had to stop.

So now over 2 months later I am hopefully on the road to getting on top of it although I know there is a long way to go and it’s never going to go away. I recently had a second blood test and my blood sugar had come down to 64 (8) and cholesterol down to 3.7. I have also lost nearly 2 stone with probably another half stone to go. Pleased that I am making progress and I understand that recent blood test would cover a 3 month period so it would include 1 month before I was diagnosed and living my old ways.

I was lucky enough to be given a blood sugar meter by the doctors, I’ve only just realised that not everyone seems to get these and this has helped in that I can see what is happening. My current readings vary between 6 and 7.5 although I do get the odd spike as am still learning what doesn’t do me any good.

Hopefully more progress when I have my next test which will be late November I think. Anyway that is my story so far. Still a lot to learn but getting there.
Hi Steve and a big welcome to the forum. I am very impressed by your achievements so far (and so quickly) and it shows your determination to get on top of this 'infliction' we all have.
Have you been put on any meds?

Hi Coby, yes I’m currently on metformin. 2 x 500g in morning and 2 with evening meal. Also on 1 tablet for cholesterol, Lipitor. Trying to do more exercise, generally just walking or playing golf when possible.

Reactions: coby

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Hi Coby, yes I’m currently on metformin. 2 x 500g in morning and 2 with evening meal. Also on 1 tablet for cholesterol, Lipitor. Trying to do more exercise, generally just walking or playing golf when possible.
With those great numbers they will soon reduce metformin dosage I would think. I came down to just one 500g tablet within nine months, but it took me another three years to get to non-diabetic numbers (my own fault) :)

Reactions: CheshireSteve63