Recently diagnosed with RH

Bella69 2

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I’m new on here and was diagnosed with Reactive Hypoglycaemia about 4 months ago, it’s really good to see all the info on here as I’ve found it difficult to find any. I have had lots of tests and am waiting for the 72 fasting test in hospital, I was dreading it but having read the post that explained it all I’m not feeling so bad. I have adopted a low carb diet and haven’t had a hypo since, I still get days when I have brain fog though and often feel really tired. Just wondered if this was normal. My Hba1c is good and my blood glucose is steady in the 5’s usually. I have lost 1 stone in weight but still have a long way to go, but that’s ok I’m happy as this is the first time in years I’ve actually been able to lose any weight.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I’m new on here and was diagnosed with Reactive Hypoglycaemia about 4 months ago, it’s really good to see all the info on here as I’ve found it difficult to find any. I have had lots of tests and am waiting for the 72 fasting test in hospital, I was dreading it but having read the post that explained it all I’m not feeling so bad. I have adopted a low carb diet and haven’t had a hypo since, I still get days when I have brain fog though and often feel really tired. Just wondered if this was normal. My Hba1c is good and my blood glucose is steady in the 5’s usually. I have lost 1 stone in weight but still have a long way to go, but that’s ok I’m happy as this is the first time in years I’ve actually been able to lose any weight.

Sorry about the brain fog, but the rest is fab! Well done for getting so much sorted - including the weight loss.
Delighted to read this! :D:D:D

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi and welcome to the forum, the fasting test isn't the horror experience we all think it is. From early years, our parents programmed us to eat three square meals, meat and two veg with a Sunday roast, fish and chips on a payday, cereals for breakfast as a healthy diet!
Well, we're different, and have learned that having RH must be approached from a quite different lifestyle choice.
Sometimes because of the symptoms, we tend to forget that we do have some good days and some bad days, the brain fog is part of the bad, you didn't sleep well enough, your food intake of carbs wasn't low enough to stop the insulin overshoot. But getting days without a hypo, is brilliant, seeing that you were only diagnosed a few months ago.
Your normal hba1c and fasting levels is were you want to be and because of the low carb diet, you will lose weight.
There is a lot of information on this forum, do read because, there is some great knowledge, that you can learn from.
Any questions please ask, I am interested in how us RH ers got diagnosed because of my long battle with the medical care. So do write a little about your personal experience.

Best wishes

MicheleJC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi and welcome to the forum, the fasting test isn't the horror experience we all think it is. From early years, our parents programmed us to eat three square meals, meat and two veg with a Sunday roast, fish and chips on a payday, cereals for breakfast as a healthy diet!
Well, we're different, and have learned that having RH must be approached from a quite different lifestyle choice.
Sometimes because of the symptoms, we tend to forget that we do have some good days and some bad days, the brain fog is part of the bad, you didn't sleep well enough, your food intake of carbs wasn't low enough to stop the insulin overshoot. But getting days without a hypo, is brilliant, seeing that you were only diagnosed a few months ago.
Your normal hba1c and fasting levels is were you want to be and because of the low carb diet, you will lose weight.
There is a lot of information on this forum, do read because, there is some great knowledge, that you can learn from.
Any questions please ask, I am interested in how us RH ers got diagnosed because of my long battle with the medical care. So do write a little about your personal experience.

Best wishes
Hi,
can I ask how you cope with avoiding hypos on a low carb diet and also what do you eat/drink to recover from a hypo?
Michele

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
can I ask how you cope with avoiding hypos on a low carb diet and also what do you eat/drink to recover from a hypo?
Michele

Hi Michele,

Can I just clarify that you have RH? Only the way we RHers deal with our hypos and preventing them is very different from how an insulin user would do so - and if I recall correctly, you mentioned you use insulin in another of your posts?

As for your question about avoiding and dealing with hypos as an RHer - the trick is basically to avoid eating so many carbs that your body overshoots its natural insulin production, which then causes a knock on hypo. So essentially, being low carb prevents most hypos.

Then if we get a hypo (for whatever reason, but usually from eating too many carbs) we eat the minimum carbs to escape the hypo and follow it up with a big low carb meal to get levels stable and slow releasing glucose - which prevents more rebound hypos.

Hope that makes sense!