recently diagnosed

johnboy4809

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm the dad of an 8 year old daughter who has recently been diagnosed with type 1, was a bit of a different half term to what we had planned but we are coping with this and shes been brilliant. Wanted to join here just to talk and get advice from people and parents living with this

Reactions: Juicyj

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @johnboy4809 and welcome to the club :)
Any questions you have just get them on here and someone will be alone with answers/suggestions for you and yout daughter. Some VERY knowledgeable people on here.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome @johnboy4809 :)

We have a parents section I can move your thread here if you like ?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Unsure why you are seeing this @johnboy4809 I can move for your now, it will gain better visibility with other t1 parents :)

Reactions: porl69

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@johnboy4809 That's moved now :)

There's also Facebook groups you can join too, hope your daughter is ok, kids are pretty adaptable to change, it's us adults who can struggle with the diagnosis, so support is vital.

johnboy4809

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
@johnboy4809 That's moved now :)

There's also Facebook groups you can join too, hope your daughter is ok, kids are pretty adaptable to change, it's us adults who can struggle with the diagnosis, so support is vital.

Yes shes been brilliant, shes doing her own finger pricks, she wants to do the injections but is all thumbs at them moment a has stabbed me with the pen a few times, but we are ust to needles as her mum has had to do daily injections for blood clots in the past.

she does keep saying she wishes she had type 2 because she can get better and not sure how to answer that

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
she does keep saying she wishes she had type 2 because she can get better and not sure how to answer that

Tell her we can eat what we want as long as we bolus for it.

Dont moan at me type 2's :hilarious::hilarious:

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Yes shes been brilliant, shes doing her own finger pricks, she wants to do the injections but is all thumbs at them moment a has stabbed me with the pen a few times, but we are ust to needles as her mum has had to do daily injections for blood clots in the past.

That is a tough one, could she be impressed by T1 pop stars, sports stars and actors? Would she go for T1 being more unusual so obviously super cool? Or even T1 means you can still have Haribo?

Reactions: Listlad

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

She sounds as though she's doing brilliantly, it's good to get them to manage all aspects of their care when they are ready as it will help them grow and develop with the condition and not lean on others to support them. Unfortunately type 2 is also difficult to live with and even when in remission it can still come back so t2 isn't an easy ride either, I tend to view my condition as manageable and I make it fit into my life, yes there are far worse things to have but learning to live with it so it doesn't consume my life is important. I still ski, ride a road bike, run 3 times a week between 5-10km, swim, dance, eat cake, it's not a case of adapting to t1 it's adapting t1 to fit into your life.

We are lucky that with technology as it is today we can do this, there's lots of advice support around too and lots of people willing to help too :)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Also look at JDRF's website as they do lots of local meet ups and it will give her the chance to meet other t1's so she doesn't feel different.

johnboy4809

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Also look at JDRF's website as they do lots of local meet ups and it will give her the chance to meet other t1's so she doesn't feel different.

thank you JuicyJ, and funny i was just on that site when I got your message, some things happening local, and yes we have told her she does everything as shes has done she still does all her clubs and groups this just becomes part of her life but certainly doesn't restrict it. out of everything last week she got most upset when the hospital said no more slush puppies.

johnboy4809

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Tell her we can eat what we want as long as we bolus for it.

Dont moan at me type 2's :hilarious::hilarious:

She did get upset when hospital said not to have slushies, but she knows she can still have her easter egg just have it with a meal and like you say bolus for it, she still had her apple crumble and custard when we took her out so she's accepting it really well

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
she got most upset when the hospital said no more slush puppies.

That's a bit mean.. she can still have a slush puppy, she'll need to know how many carbs are in them and maybe not something to have too often, but she can still have one and inject insulin.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
She did get upset when hospital said not to have slushies, but she knows she can still have her easter egg just have it with a meal and like you say bolus for it, she still had her apple crumble and custard when we took her out so she's accepting it really well

Hospitals are mean!!!!
Its the work required to find out how many carbs are in certain foods is the difficult bit.

johnboy4809

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
That's a bit mean.. she can still have a slush puppy, she'll need to know how many carbs are in them and maybe not something to have too often, but she can still have one and inject insulin.

I know tango do a sugar free slush, and no its not a regular thing just when we go out to a merlin park both girls like a slushy between rides but as you say if you can work it out you can take it into account. We certainly dont want to be letting the younger one have one and saying no to the other

Reactions: Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I know tango do a sugar free slush, and no its not a regular thing just when we go out to a merlin park both girls like a slushy between rides but as you say if you can work it out you can take it into account. We certainly dont want to be letting the younger one have one and saying no to the other

OK that's even better then, she'll need a slush puppy between rides, seriously kids don't need to be told they can't have this or that as it encourages them to want it more, and I agree if one has it then the other should do too. Tell her slush puppies are back on the menu :)