Recipe: Low-carb/Low Fat Lasagne

BeccaJaneStClair

More details and photos are on my blog, but here's the recipe --

You Will Need:

Packet of wholewheat lasagne noodles (I used Tesco organic - about 6 noodles, but then ran out for the top layer and had to cook a handful of wholewheat penne)
500g pack of Quorn mince (or other vegetarian mince or turkey mince)
300-500g cottage cheese (can use more or less, depending on size of dish and how cheesy you want it)
1 carton tomato passata (I used half a jar of organic passata)
Herbs – basil, oregano, thyme
Cinnamon
Pepper
Parmesean cheese (optional)
Weight Watcher’s grated cheese (optional)

1 – preheat oven to 200C
2 – cook noodles according to package (optional if you are using the “no cook” style of noodle, but I like to pre-cook those too). Before I cooked the noodles, I layered them out in the bottom of my dish to figure out how many I would need.
3 – Place Quorn in a microwave safe container and cook for 5 minutes or until no longer frozen. Add passata, herbs (to taste – about a tablespoon of each), cinnamon (just a sprinkle), and pepper (a few turns of a grinder) and combine well. Microwave for a further 5 minutes (you can cook this on the stove too). Adjust your herb and spice level to your individual taste. For a spicier lasagne, you might consider adding chilli powder or red pepper flakes. I'm allergic to onions and garlic, so I don't use them, but you could add either or both if you like them.
4 – Spray your lasagne dish with cooking spray (I used Fry Light) and arrange a layer of noodles. Top noodles with spoonfuls of Quorn, and in between spoonfuls of Quorn add spoonfuls of cottage cheese. Lightly sprinkle the entire layer with parmesean (optional) and add another layer of noodles. This time, try to put the cottage cheese where you had the Quorn in the previous layer and the Quorn where you had the cottage cheese. Add another layer of noodles (or make some whole wheat penne if you’ve run out of noodles like I did!) and cover the noodles with alternating spoonfuls of sauce and cottage cheese. If there is any noodle still showing, you can toss on some WW grated cheese. If you leave any of the noodle uncovered, they will get crispy.
5 – bake for 25-30 minutes until bubbly. The cheese should be melted and the no cook noodles should be soft.

This made enough for my husband and I to have for three meals (froze the leftovers!). Serve with a side salad and veg.