Recipe needed for turkey or duck Christmas dinner!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And here the plans have changed again! :hilarious:

Neighbour had a LOT of meat in the Christmas hamper he received from work, and yesterday our local hunter brought 10 geese as well. Doesn't really make sense to kill one of those funny ducks now, so they can liven up the garden for a bit longer. :joyful:

All our cats (both neighbour and I have 3) and dogs (2 of mine, 1 of neighbour, and in an hour they will be joined by two sleepover dogs) have started their Christmas dinner early, and it will likely last for at least a week. Neighbour took the breasts and some of the legs from the geese and left the rest in the garden for whoever wants to eat goose! :cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat:
The same thing happened last year, and for a while I had a very fat cat. Went back to normal a few weeks after the geese were finished so not worried about that.
Ok, so what are you going to eat?

• Funny
Reactions: jessj and Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok, so what are you going to eat?
I have no idea, something from the Christmas hamper I guess, likely a rollade* or such. Maybe a piece of goose? I think neighbour will do the cooking so it will be a surprise!

*No idea what a rollade is called in English, or even if it's a thing in the UK. In the Netherlands it's often eaten at Christmas. Looks like this:

1703424904834.png
1703424995621.png

jessj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
And here the plans have changed again! :hilarious:

Neighbour had a LOT of meat in the Christmas hamper he received from work, and yesterday our local hunter brought 10 geese as well. Doesn't really make sense to kill one of those funny ducks now, so they can liven up the garden for a bit longer. :joyful:

All our cats (both neighbour and I have 3) and dogs (2 of mine, 1 of neighbour, and in an hour they will be joined by two sleepover dogs) have started their Christmas dinner early, and it will likely last for at least a week. Neighbour took the breasts and some of the legs from the geese and left the rest in the garden for whoever wants to eat goose! :cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat:
The same thing happened last year, and for a while I had a very fat cat. Went back to normal a few weeks after the geese were finished so not worried about that.
I so wish I lived up the road from you & I wish there was a drool emoji!
Bon appétit!

• Friendly
  • Agree
Reactions: MrsA2 and Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I so wish I lived up the road from you
No you don't, not at this time of year. It's all mud and a LOT of wind.
But if you did, you would of course be invited to share!

Reactions: jessj

jessj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No you don't, not at this time of year. It's all mud and a LOT of wind.
But if you did, you would of course be invited to share!
Used to mud, I lived in rural France & it's the first useful word I learned when first there. :hilarious: The wind, a different matter, if nothing else, our planet is getting windier. Batten down the hatches as there's more on the way. Thank you, @Antje77, enjoy whatever you have & the day.

• Friendly
Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 what did you end up eating?

What do people usually eat at Christmas in the Netherlands?
Eating won't be until tonight, in the Netherlands it's most common to have a big dinner with family on christmas day, often followed by a second one with the other side of the family, or with friends a day later. Those days are officially called 1st and 2nd Christmas day around here.
Christmas eve isn't a big thing, unless you're religious, which I'm not.

My uncle usually makes a pretty traditional Christmas dinner: First two starters, of which one is always a ragout in a small puff pastry thing, typical Christmas fare.
For mains at least two kinds of meat, sometimes three. Often something unusual like deer, boar, or hare. Multiple vegetable dishes and salads, and potatoes made in different ways. Always sweet cooked pears.
And some spectecular dessert made by my cousin.

Another traditional thing many people do at Christmas is 'gourmetten'. No idea what this is called in English, everyone has their own mini frying pan to cook what they want at the table. Children tend to love it, and it's not a lot of work for preparation, so ideal for parents.
Here's a pic:

1703510285081.png

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eating won't be until tonight, in the Netherlands it's most common to have a big dinner with family on christmas day, often followed by a second one with the other side of the family, or with friends a day later. Those days are officially called 1st and 2nd Christmas day around here.
Christmas eve isn't a big thing, unless you're religious, which I'm not.

My uncle usually makes a pretty traditional Christmas dinner: First two starters, of which one is always a ragout in a small puff pastry thing, typical Christmas fare.
For mains at least two kinds of meat, sometimes three. Often something unusual like deer, boar, or hare. Multiple vegetable dishes and salads, and potatoes made in different ways. Always sweet cooked pears.
And some spectecular dessert made by my cousin.

Another traditional thing many people do at Christmas is 'gourmetten'. No idea what this is called in English, everyone has their own mini frying pan to cook what they want at the table. Children tend to love it, and it's not a lot of work for preparation, so ideal for parents.
Here's a pic:

View attachment 65135

That's called Raclette in these environs.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: Antje77 and jessj

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That's called Raclette in these environs.
That's so odd!
I only know raclette to be where you're grilling cheese, not meats, veggies, eggs or pancakes, like you do with 'gourmetten'.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not at all an English or British thing. Definitely not Norn Iron.

My Swiss relatives used to do raclette, basically cook your own. Loved it. A lot of cheese but lots of add-ons.

• Informative

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not at all an English or British thing. Definitely not Norn Iron.

My Swiss relatives used to do raclette, basically cook your own. Loved it. A lot of cheese but lots of add-ons.
Agreed, Raclette isn't a British thing, but the gizmos are sold in British shops (including our local Lidl recently).