Recipe needed for turkey or duck Christmas dinner!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
turkey is usually hung for a week or more, from killing to cooking, so a bit late for that.
Oh yes, I agree. I had forgotten just how close to Christmas day we are.
Duck is usually hung for a minimum of 3 days, but up to a week between slaughter and table.
Still have time for this.
the birds will have to do without hanging. It would be high risk anyway, it's hard to find a completely cat proof place here...
A duck is small enough to place in a refrigerator.

• Useful
Reactions: Antje77

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The secret to duck, turkey, goose, pheasant etc is not to let it dry out. I usually do a carrot/celery/onion (all finely grated) base in the roasting tin with a bit of garlic (this makes the gravy base), and add about half a pint (0.3litres) boiling water once the meat is up to temp. Cover tightly and leave - total cooking time depends on weight. At the end give it 20-30 mins on high heat uncovered to let it crisp up a bit and then let it rest for maybe 30-40 mins.

• Informative
Reactions: jessj and Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Resting, in this house, involved an aluminium blanket. It doesn’t get cold, if we’ll wrapped.
Just a single layer of aluminium foil? I'm afraid that won't keep anything warm for 30 minutes in my kitchen in the winter, but it likely will in my neighbour's trailer, so still a possibility. Provided he can keep the cats away... :hilarious:

• Funny
Reactions: jessj

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Keep it in the tin and/or well wrapped with foil, you need an air gap. It will keep cooking for a bit in its own heat and then gradually slow down. It won't cool down for hours.
At a usual room temperature I guess? Not in my 6°C kitchen I'm afraid. But I could turn the oven off and open the door a little, with the wrapped bird inside, that should work about the same.
I think I'll use a recipe without the resting bit though, less complicated.

Reactions: jessj

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a single layer of aluminium foil? I'm afraid that won't keep anything warm for 30 minutes in my kitchen in the winter, but it likely will in my neighbour's trailer, so still a possibility. Provided he can keep the cats away... :hilarious:
It usually is a single layer, but vaulted, so the foil is making a little house, rather than a fitted sweater. I’ll see if I can find a pic.

Resting, per se, makes a real difference when cooking meat. Even our pork chops are rested.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
At a usual room temperature I guess? Not in my 6°C kitchen I'm afraid. But I could turn the oven off and open the door a little, with the wrapped bird inside, that should work about the same.
I think I'll use a recipe without the resting bit though, less complicated.
I rest all my meat. It really improves it. Steak often rests as long as it was in the pan. And the turkey or duck will have been at 200C so it really won't cool down much. You need a sort of tent of foil to trap the steam and hot air.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Antje77, was going put my chefs hat on write a post explaining how & why to rest meat but this link explains it very nicely :)

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you do go for a whole duck, a great tip I got years ago was to pour a kettle of boiling water over it before putting in the oven. It starts the fat rendering and makes for a really crispy skin (and don't forget to save the fat that does render, it's very flavourful)

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@jessj , I love the very clear instructions on both duck and turkey, and I have a feeling everything will turn out delicious if I just follow them. :hungry:
Which is no reason to not have @JoKalsbeek 's red wine sauce and a chocolate dessert with it of course. :joyful:
So how do you make the red wine sauce? No matter that you can't cook. :hilarious:
I just throw a bit of cooking Madeira into the cooking juices, really, just before serving... I just eyeball it, and have to admit I completely forgot to buy the stuff this year, haha. So just ducky juice with the breasts this year, which should still be good. Most proper sauces have a thickening agent that's a no-go for me. but if you want something as it should be, the super market sells it ready made this time of year. ;) . I don't think there's a lot of Jumbo's up north, but I'm sure there's similar super markets out there in the sticks. ;)

Tried to post this with links, but the forum wouldn't have it for some reason...

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just throw a bit of cooking Madeira into the cooking juices, really, just before serving... I just eyeball it, and have to admit I completely forgot to buy the stuff this year, haha. So just ducky juice with the breasts this year, which should still be good. Most proper sauces have a thickening agent that's a no-go for me. but if you want something as it should be, the super market sells it ready made this time of year. ;) . I don't think there's a lot of Jumbo's up north, but I'm sure there's similar super markets out there in the sticks. ;)

Tried to post this with links, but the forum wouldn't have it for some reason...
If you reduce your sauce once you’ve added your Madeira by at least 1/2 of the volume it should thicken up to a nice coating consistency and whisk a nob of butter in at the end will give it a lovely shine ( pay reduce I mean let it simmer and stir it until it reduces down - not make less of it lol)

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you reduce your sauce once you’ve added your Madeira by at least 1/2 of the volume it should thicken up to a nice coating consistency and whisk a nob of butter in at the end will give it a lovely shine ( pay reduce I mean let it simmer and stir it until it reduces down - not make less of it lol)
Sounds like something I should frame rather than eat, sounds lovely... You're making my mouth water now, haha. :) (I don't have duck often but ooooh.... I do love it!)

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like something I should frame rather than eat, sounds lovely... You're making my mouth water now, haha. :) (I don't have duck often but ooooh.... I do love it!)
Will work with any wine sauce, a chef I worked with years ago used to do it with just red wine on a low simmer for ages until there was about a less than a 1/4 of it left - delish over steak and red meats

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Of course they do. They were bred for their meat.
Ducks have amazing characters, but so do pigs, and we still eat them.

I'd rather eat an animal that has lived a happy life free roaming than one from the supermarket.
Still, I hope your favourite muscovy duck will live out a long and happy life on your river!
He's usually on his own these days, last year he turned up with 2 others but when he came back this year he's on his own. I gave him some of my Swan and Duck pellets and now he mooches around the anglers so he must have liked them! We love pigs too, so much character and quite amazing to watch how they let others eat at the same time without being greedy, they are always interested in us too :)

• Friendly
Reactions: jessj and Antje77

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Will work with any wine sauce, a chef I worked with years ago used to do it with just red wine on a low simmer for ages until there was about a less than a 1/4 of it left - delish over steak and red meats
Forgot some rather crucial groceries, so picked up the cooking Madeira at 8 a.m. this morning as well. I'm all inspired now, haha!

Attachments

• a2247ebf-d6d6-4dd5-87a1-e054f387b13d.jpg
    a2247ebf-d6d6-4dd5-87a1-e054f387b13d.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 39

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Forgot some rather crucial groceries, so picked up the cooking Madeira at 8 a.m. this morning as well. I'm all inspired now, haha!
And here the plans have changed again! :hilarious:

Neighbour had a LOT of meat in the Christmas hamper he received from work, and yesterday our local hunter brought 10 geese as well. Doesn't really make sense to kill one of those funny ducks now, so they can liven up the garden for a bit longer. :joyful:

All our cats (both neighbour and I have 3) and dogs (2 of mine, 1 of neighbour, and in an hour they will be joined by two sleepover dogs) have started their Christmas dinner early, and it will likely last for at least a week. Neighbour took the breasts and some of the legs from the geese and left the rest in the garden for whoever wants to eat goose! :cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat:
The same thing happened last year, and for a while I had a very fat cat. Went back to normal a few weeks after the geese were finished so not worried about that.