Recommendations for Books on (Diabetes Related) Health and Health Improvment.

CaminoTurtle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, as someone recently told that they have prediabetes I'm hungry for books that relate to diabetes, gout, metabolic syndrome etc. There is a wealth of informatin here in the forum and although I am enjoying slowly working my way through as many threads as possible I would love to see book recommendations, book reviews, book criticisms etc. all in one thread.

I did a long read of the search for threads with the word 'book' in the title and didn't find anything that answered my quest to see a list of books that you would recommend as educational or informational regarding health issues that may be associated with diabetes. If this has already been covered and I missed it I do apologise, please let know and point me in the right direction.

CaminoTurtle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll start the thread off by saying that I'm currently reading 'Drop Acid' by David Perlmutter. I'm only a few chapters in having read the free download provided by Amazon kindle and I have decided to buy the paperback so that I can mark it and easily refer back to sections.

The book interests me because I have been diagnosed with gout, my uric acid levels are high and I have begun to take Allopurinol daily. I don't know that I even know enough to be able to critique the information that I'm reading, I'm assuming that what David Perlmutter has to say is the truth and to be honest I don't like not being able to discern whether it's good information or not. As I said, I'm only at the beginning of the book and I assume that there will be footnotes and references to help me make informed decisions about the information.

I'd love to know if any of you have read this or any other books by the author and what you think of him as a source of information?

Drop Acid: The Surprising New Science of Uric Acid - The Key to Losing Weight, Controlling Blood Sugar and Achieving Extraordinary Health

What do obesity, insulin resistance, diabetes, fatty liver disease, hypertension, cardiovascular disease, stroke, neurological disorders and premature death have in common? All can be stoked by high uric acid levels.

Our most respected scientific literature is bursting with evidence that elevated uric acid levels lie at the root of many pervasive health conditions, but mainstream medicine for the most part remains unaware of this connection. This is especially alarming because many people don't know they are suffering from sky-high levels, putting them at risk for developing or exacerbating potentially life-threatening illnesses.

Offering an engaging blend of science and practical advice, Drop Acid exposes the deadly truth about uric acid and teaches invaluable strategies to manage its levels, including:

- Simple dietary edits focused on reducing fructose and foods high in 'purines' that can raise uric acid.
- Natural hacks that lower levels such as consuming tart cherries, vitamin C, quercetin, and coffee.
- Identifying common pharmaceuticals that threaten to increase uric acid.
- Lifestyle interventions, like restorative sleep and exercise.
- How to easily test your uric acid levels at home - a test routinely performed in your doctor's office during regular check-ups but typically ignored.

Featuring the ground-breaking 'LUV' (Lower Uric Values) diet, 35 delicious recipes, self-assessment quizzes and a 21 day program for dropping levels, Drop Acid empowers readers with the information they need to address this hidden danger and live longer, leaner and healthier lives.

Mrs HJG

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Glucose Revolution by Jessie Inchauspé - @glucosegoddess on instagram - science and hacks for everyone, and works so well (imo) for those with diabetes as glucose regulation is most important for us. She has a second book Glucose Goddess Method, which I do not own yet, but has had a great reviews.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Blood Sugar 101 by Jenny Ruhl. It opened my eyes to what was really going on in my life, and I still follow the principles explained in her book.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dr. James le Fanu "Too Many Pills"

Dr. Malcolm Kendrick "The Great Cholesterol Con" for those who are automatically under pressure to take statins when diagnosed with diabetes

Reactions: CaminoTurtle

CaminoTurtle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Glucose Revolution by Jessie Inchauspé - @glucosegoddess on instagram - science and hacks for everyone, and works so well (imo) for those with diabetes as glucose regulation is most important for us. She has a second book Glucose Goddess Method, which I do not own yet, but has had a great reviews.
Thanks @Mrs HJG I've downloaded the free sample to have a look on the kindle. I rarely use instagram any more however I will take a look at her profile the next time I'm there.

Reactions: miriamy and Mrs HJG

CaminoTurtle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Blood Sugar 101 by Jenny Ruhl. It opened my eyes to what was really going on in my life, and I still follow the principles explained in her book.
Thanks @Oldvatr I've downloaded the free sample to get started and found the website so I look forward to having a browse tomorrow.

Reactions: Oldvatr

CaminoTurtle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dr. James le Fanu "Too Many Pills"

Dr. Malcolm Kendrick "The Great Cholesterol Con" for those who are automatically under pressure to take statins when diagnosed with diabetes
Thanks @Outlier I've downloaded the free sample of Too Many Pills to get started with.