Recommended Monitor

galileo

Hi,

Diagnosed T2 approximately 3 years ago never receive any support from doctors surgery. I am looking at monitors and completely confused I want one that's easy to use, I have arthritis in my hands which limits my dexterity. I find completing fiddly tasks and holding small items very difficult and feel I will not be able to securely hold the testing strips. My wife will help, but I get so frustrated when I cannot do things myself.

Been feeling quite unwell lately, very tired. Lots of muscle pain and painful joints and have an infected foot now on the third course of antibiotics. I was told by GP I don't need to test my blood ? I want to have a monitor on hand for when I am feeling unwell at least then I will know if it's the diabetes or one of my other conditions.

I would appreciate suggestions for monitors price is not a consideration I don't care how much it costs.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
According to this website, the Accucheck Aviva has been approved for use by those with arthritis. You need to create an account to read further (I didn’t) and I don’t know whether it’s available in the UK. https://www.accu-chek.com/user/login

You could also look into the Freestyle Libre, but that does require some cross checking with finger pricks as the sensors often run high or low.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dust
I have been using Accu-check and use the Aviva model for years and it is simple to use.
I, like you, struggle with fine motor skills due to poor dexterity in hands, and whilst the strips are small, often i can just about manage. Occasionally i need my husband to get the strip out of the little pot it comes in, but otherwise i am mostly able to do it myself.

I have tried a few other monitors but always come back to my Aviva.

(T2 diagnosed 2013)

Reactions: oldgreymare

galileo

Thanks for the replies much appreciated. I have just read the Accu-check Aviva is being discontinued end of 2020 and the strips discontinued end of 2022.

Tj-73

I’m type two but recently on insulin, I’m self funding a freestyle libre (£100 a month) ... I may not use it forever but it’s making a massive impact on learning what I can and cannot eat. I can tell my levels through the night, how slowly certain foods make my levels come back down... if I’d gone along with the 4 finger pricks a day I’d end up with insulin levels through the roof, weight gain and anxiety... this gives me more control and less relying on the meds. It’s a patch you wear on your arm and you scan it with your phone or you can buy a scanner. Each patch lasts two weeks and costs around £50 approx.

Best of luck

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You seem to be someone who would benefit hugely from testing after meals.
I suggest that you might find that making it a joint effort with your wife would be a really sensible move - if, as I suspect she is the main shopper and cooks or at least organizes meals - sitting down together for the few seconds it takes to do the test and then discussing the result might result in swift improvements.
I am a great advocate of eating low carb foods to control blood glucose, and saw my own levels normalise within days of returning to low carb eating. I saw my numbers drifting even lower after that just sticking to the same meals.

Gill63

Type 2 for 6 years. Over the last year feel I am not managing so well, last Hba1c was 8.0. Had been following NHS advice, healthy carbs, low fat etc. I have been reading up on LCHF and think I would like to try this.
GP has never suggested I test my blood, in fact probably discouraged me saying that the Hba1c was all they were interested in however, reading some posts it seems like this is important to self manage.
Do most people test and did the GP give prescribe monitor and test strips.

Reactions: SueO246