Recovering for a hypo

LittleFragge

I was wondering how long it takes people to feel better after a hypo. Sometimes I'm 100% after an hour, other times I'm still feeling fragile the next day.

I had a reading of 2.8 at 3.30 this afternoon and now just want to go to sleep, who else is like this?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, I hope you are feeling much better now. I have had this before, but normally after a little rest, I'm fine, Other times it can make you feel a hundred times worse, what I call the diabetes fairy at work o_O

Best wishes RRB

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 9 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
When I was newly diagnosed and on twice daily animal insulin I use to have horrendous headaches sometimes after a hypo, now on basal/bolus I don't seem to get these headaches and recover quite well.

Reactions: 4 people

Bazzza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive dropped down into the 2's a couple of times over the last few weeks. I do be grand tho about 30/40 mins later.

amymac84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have hypos like that sometimes and It takes me ages to feel right again. I feel really tired and get headaches, I.call it my hypo hangover.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I only tend to feel awful if I have an extended overnight hypo or get down below 2.

linda321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sometimes I feel better as soon as I start to treat my hypo, sometimes I feel rubbish all day. Had a hypo in the night - early Thursday morning, woke up to 12, so I thought I'd go for a walk. Later that morning BS crashed to 3.3 again. I felt rubbish all day, but I think it may be because of treating it with all that sugar, and BS fluctuating wildly!

Tracieo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It can take me a good two hours to recover enought to functiion properly again. Sometimes feel "off" for the rest of the day/eveing

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm actually quite surprised how long people take to recover from a hypo. For me in general, it's always been a relatively quick period. If I make it into the twos, as soon as I'm back up in the late threes and rising, my symptoms abate and I feel normal. Is that unusual?

shedlover111

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am surprised at the length of time it takes people to recover, 10 mins for the glucose to kick in and I feel right as rain again

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel fine as well normally very quickly. The only times it does affect me is when I have a horrible night time unconscious / convuslion type job. After those I generally feel bad the next day but nearly always get up and go to work and soldier through it. Maybe it's just because I've been T1 over 30 years you just get used to the bloody things and it doesn't really matter so much.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Even when I've been hit with the Glucagon (Which has happened twice in my life) I've come around, felt a bit sick, had a sore arm, and then it's just been like proceeding with a hangover, just one that disappears more quickly than a really bad alcohol induced one....

Maybe that's way.... My worst hangovers have been worse than my worst hypo-hangovers.

MrsB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm actually quite surprised how long people take to recover from a hypo. For me in general, it's always been a relatively quick period. If I make it into the twos, as soon as I'm back up in the late threes and rising, my symptoms abate and I feel normal. Is that unusual?
I'm the same. It rarely takes me more than 15 mins to be fully functional again no matter how low I've gone (apart from the 2 where I needed help both times when asleep). I'm obviously very lucky :)

desidiabulum

I do think this partly depends on the individual. I'm MODY rather than T1 and I don't get down as low as T1s, but unless I catch it right away a hypo always wipes me out for the rest of the day and sometimes well into the following day. By contrast my sister with T1 has much lower and very regular hypos but fully recovers within minutes.

ksguk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hope you feel better soon, I find that when I go low I am exhausted for the rest of the day :(

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After a bad hypo all I want to do is go to sleep, otherwise an hour at most.